Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help with API nitrite reading

Hello last month we inherited a Betta from a family friend moving to US. It was in a 0.5 gallon plastic container, unheated and unfiltered which I would not stand to continue.
So I got a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater, and cycled (I thought!) Completely. Nitrites were hovering at trace levels less than 0.25. When they hit zero I went for it and maybe should have left another few days to stabilize. Now he's in and I don't think it is better to move him back so I am dosing with prime and stability.
Nitrites are hovering around the .5-1 I think? But I don't know whether to read the "purpleness" or the "darkness"?
Image attached.
By purpleness I say 1 but it is very light. I am stressing over it more because the Betta is in tank now and I'm hesitant to out him back in the small tank if I can get him through with Prime.
I've done a couple of 30% water changes but frustratingly haven't really seen much of a change in nitrites after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200601_083726.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	316869  

Tags
api, nitrite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com