Help with brown algae on fake plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
Day 51 of cycle update:

-20 gallon FW community tank
-4 harlequin rasboras, 5 black neon tetras and 4 bronze cory cats.
-water temp: 76-78 F
-pH: 7.2
-ammonia: 0ppm
-nitrite: >2.0ppm but <1.0ppm
-nitrate: >5.0ppm but <10ppm

My main questions is concerning the redish-brown algae that has recently starting to rapidly grow on my fake plants. Do I remove the algae manually or with certain chemical products? Also, would some type of fish be beneficial for this algae growth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is common to new tanks. Just wipe it off. Once your tank is cycled and established for a few more months it will go away on its own. It is called diatoms if you are interested.

You could add an otto or two after your tank is finished cycling to eat it.

Is it best to pull out the plants affected and clean them or what is the best way to go about cleaning them?

Pull them out wipe them off and put them back in. It is not a problem. You will probably need to wipe your glass as well. It is not a problem it will go away on its own.

I use a paper towel. Anything with no chemicals or soap. They sell algae sponges at LFS just buy the one you like. If your tank is acrylic they spell special ones for that.

Back
Top Bottom