Help with compatable fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishynewbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my kids wanted to get daddy some fish for fathers day. We went out and got a 5 gallon aquarium and stocked it with 2 black mollies and 1 red wag platy (all male). They have been doing very well together, get along fine. The tank is fully cycled, everything was great....until the tank started leaking! So now I have convinced my hubby that we should get a bigger tank but I want to make educated decisions this time instead of just throwing everything together.

1st question: If I use the water currently in the 5 gallon along with the gravel that is in there can I transfer the fish to the 20 gallon without cycling again? I don't really have anywhere else to keep the fish because I am replacing about a gallon of water every day from the leak...I would like to move them tomorrow if it's safe.

2nd question: Once water conditions are stable, which other fish can I add to the 20 gallon I plan on getting? I would like as much color as possible.
:thanks:

First let me say welcome to AA :) sorry bout the leak though but it was for the best since the mollies require a 20 gallon tank. For cycling did you test the water to see the spikes? When transferring if it is cycled you wanna move over the filter media and decor/substrate because the BB (beneficial bacteria) does not live in the water coloumn. Once transferred I would add another mollie a couple.more platys and some bottom dweller of your choosing. Try browsing liveaquaria.com and refine the searches to 20 gallon minimum.

Thanks for your response! I did check the water frequently and I'm positive that it has cycled. I got that part right! Any specific suggestions for fish that will add color and how many?

How bout a male topsail platy a male red platy and a school or skunk cory cats

I agree, it's for the best actually and good for you for getting a larger tank. Just move the current filter from the 5 gal to the 20 and run it alongside the new filter OR take the filter media from the 5 gal's filter and add it to the new filter then fill it the rest of the way with new media from the new filter (if it fits). Just remember you have enough bacteria to house the fish you have currently; when you add more fish the bacteria will need time to adjust to add new fish slowly and test the water frequently.

You have some options for a 20 gal. You could do:

The 2 mollies you have
The platy and add one more
Some SMALL cory cats for the bottom, such as Pandas, Cory Hasbrosus, Corydoras Pygmaeus or Cory Hastus (I wouldn't go for any of the larger corys)
A school of 6-8 small schooling fish like Neon Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Ember Tetra or Chili Rasbora.

Thanks for the ideas! I don't want to ask at the petstore because last time they just pointed at a wall and said everything from the middle to the left was compatible. Not the most knowledgeable or helpful for someone who's trying to do it right.

I know I need to stock slowly...does this mean 1 addition each month/week? I'm not sure of the spacing. Or do I just go by the stability of my water conditions?

I just have to tell you guys that my Hunny is so funny! As I have been doing so much research over the past few months and testing the water and stuff he keeps saying "i thought this was my gift not your chemistry project!" I have gotten so in to all this!

Thanks for the ideas! I don't want to ask at the petstore because last time they just pointed at a wall and said everything from the middle to the left was compatible. Not the most knowledgeable or helpful for someone who's trying to do it right.

I know I need to stock slowly...does this mean 1 addition each month/week? I'm not sure of the spacing. Or do I just go by the stability of my water conditions?

Library girl gave some great advice. I'd say add 2 -3 fish every 2 weeks. You will still need to test and probably need to do more frequent water changes but this would be pretty controllable.

I just have to tell you guys that my Hunny is so funny! As I have been doing so much research over the past few months and testing the water and stuff he keeps saying "i thought this was my gift not your chemistry project!" I have gotten so in to all this!

I know the feeling. lol. My oldest son(5) had been saving for a fish. A local pet store was shutting down and hubby convinced me we needed a bigger tank so we got a 20 gallon to start.. I had planned a simple 5 gallon with betta. I've owned fish befoe so wasn't totally new to this but just felt that was the best starting point. I caved and we did the 20.

I've been completely sucked in! My hubby teases me. We are getting a 50 gallon tank from a coworker of his and I've been on a mission for a month trying to figure out how to stock it. I can't make up my mind and am flip flopping all over! I'm sure before the year is out I'll have a tank in every room of this house. ;)

I also never realized what an expensive hobby it is...and all for a few 80 cent fish...lol!

Oh yes! You buy a few plants here, a backup filter there, etc. etc. and BAM! You add up the bill and you're in the hundreds of dollars. I have spent about 200 dollars on my 30 gallon and I haven't even added fish yet! (which will be another 70-80 dollars)

Back
Top Bottom