Help With Cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi again - anxious to get home today and see if the levels I had last night have stayed the same which I believe will allow for some fish to be added to the tank! WHOA! Now the question is, what kind of fish? I have been so hell bent on getting the tank to cycle, that I have completely ignored doing any fish research! Any input would be great on how many fish the tank can handle (29 gallons) to what type can live together, etc.

Thank you again!

Well what type of fish do you really want? You could pick a "centerpiece" fish and build around that.

Good question - i guess we're looking for some non aggressive medium size (if that makes sense) fish that would be able to fit comfortably in a 29 gallon tank. I know there's a rule of thumb as it pertains to how many fish you should stock the tank with, but I have forgotten!

The generic rule is one inch of full-grown fish to one gallon of water. So if you buy a fish that's only 3-inches, but it will grow to 5-inches, you want to purchase based on their adult size. (i.e 5 or 6, not 9 or 10)

It also depends on how active they are, and how much space they take up.

An example: I have a Black Ghost Knife fish. They can grow anywhere from 24-30 inches, but I would never put him in a 30 gallon tank. He's in a 125.

Have you seen any types that have struck your fancy?

Back
Top Bottom