Help with cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I, currently cycling a new tank using nutrafin cycle (I kno mixed reviews) I'm 4 days in been testing with API master kit daily

Ph 7.6
Ammo 0.25
Nitrites 5
Nitrates between 10-20

Is any of this actually working?

Without meaning to be rude, please don't just comment on how nutrafin is crap etc just need to kno where I am (if anywhere) in the cycling process thanks :)

I, currently cycling a new tank using nutrafin cycle (I kno mixed reviews) I'm 4 days in been testing with API master kit daily

Ph 7.6
Ammo 0.25
Nitrites 5
Nitrates between 10-20

Is any of this actually working?

Without meaning to be rude, please don't just comment on how nutrafin is crap etc just need to kno where I am (if anywhere) in the cycling process thanks :)

Sounds like your almost done need to do a wc to get the nitrites down and that should make your ammo 0 and lower your nitrites as well then once everything except nitrates are zero for a week your done hope I was some kind of help

That's great thanks was hoping I was getting somewhere. Looking forward to getting my fish once it's done but I kno it can take awhile to cycle

That's great thanks was hoping I was getting somewhere. Looking forward to getting my fish once it's done but I kno it can take awhile to cycle

Not a problem I know the long hours of staring at a empty tank my 20g I just cycle never started until I was almost stocked

It's worth it tho, there's nothing like sitting quietly getting lost in thought looking at ur fish :)

Keep a close eye on your ph and nitrite levels. Its very early in the cycling process so nothing needs to be done yet but very high nitrites can stall a cycle if they remain this way for lengthy period of time.

Are you dosing ammonia daily? Is it dropping daily?

What does your tap water read for nitrates? Its a bit difficult to know if you have nitrates from your tap, if you added nitrates with the bottled bacteria product (common) or if some nitrite is actually being processed. If you see nitrate steadily increasing daily, then some amount of nitrite is being processed and we will have a better idea how your cycle is progressing.

Hi checked levels before adding nutrafin, nitrites were negligible as where nitrates, trace ammo in tap water. Treated with aqua safe. 2nd day nitrites started to rise, ammonia was 0.5ish after putting food in, nitrites still low and nitrates slightly rose. 3rd day nitrite spike and nitrates to 20, ammo at 0.25. Ph has been constant

Are you using food as your ammonia source? .25ppm of ammonia really is not sufficient to properly cycle a tank. You will need to bump this up some and make sure you are adding ammonia daily. Otherwise, just continue to monitor your parameters. Once your tank is able to process 2-4ppm of ammonia (depends on tank size and proposed stock) fully to nitrate in a 24hr period, your tank is cycled. Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom