Help with cycling 29g with betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alesis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the predicament of having to cycle a 29g tank with live plants and one single betta. After 4 days, test kit says 0.25 ppm ammonia, no nitrites/nitrates. I am adding Seachem Prime every other day to detoxify ammonia and Seachem Stability everyday to jumpstart cycle. I have a heater set to ~78 °F and and an Aqueon QuietFlow 30.

The betta just says on the opposite side of the filter which leads me to believe that the flow from the filter is too strong. However, most of the time he just sits on the gravel or on a magnetic algae scrubber I have towards the top corner of the tank. But I have noticed a bit more movement compared to the first day I put him in there. He would move a lot more in the previous tank I had for him but it's no longer available. He will flair at random things around the tank which I guess is a good sign that he's okay. Feeding is hit or miss, I had the most success feeding bloodworms since getting him in that tank. Everything else he spits out. There are no noticeable red marks around his gills or discoloration which leads me to believe that the Prime is doing it's job.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it just stress from water movement or being in a new tank? Filter is at max flow since it's made for tanks up to 30 gallons; would lowering flow affect the cycling process? Is he not getting enough oxygen? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I'm sure it goes without saying I'm relatively new to the hobby. Any telling signs I should look out for that tells me the fish isn't doing well and I need to take immediate action? Also, my end goal is to turn this into a community tank.

Last edited:
Yes it's his behavior. I want to know if this is something to be concerned about and if so, what I could to about it to help him out.

The water parameters you are seeing is nothing to be concerned about. You have 1 small fish in a relatively huge tank, so very little waste is being produced.

0.25ppm ammonia is basically zero. No harm will come to your fish with such low ammonia level. Nitrite and nitrate levels at 0 just tells me your tank hasnt started cycling yet. Your target should be to do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm combined. When your cycle has established you will see these parameters stay at 0 on their own and your nitrate will rise.

Sorry, i dont keep bettas. Maybe someone else that does can chip in. My understanding is they keep to a small territory, which is why they do well in a small tank, and why your fish may not be free swimming around its tank.

It also looks like your fish is a picky eater. Bloodworms are very fatty and not good for the fish as a staple diet, more of a treat. Ive read people suggesting live food for bettas such as daphnia or mosquito larvae will interest the fish and feeding some other food will get them eating that at the same time.

Flow might be high, but in such a large tank there will be spots with lower flow where the betta might be more comfortable. Is your fish being blown about the tank?

Be careful adding other fish into the tank. Bettas don't like company and he will have gotten used to having the tank to himself and might react with extreme prejudice at having fish invade its territory. Keeping bettas in a community tank is for your benefit not the bettas. He would be happy on his own in a small tank. Every fish has different temperaments though, just keep an eye on things when you add more fish and have a plan for seperating them if it doesnt work.

Back
Top Bottom