Help with Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If a nitrate test gives you a false reading then there's a 99% chance that a mistake was made in the testing which results in a 0ppm ammonia. Ita not going to detect nitrite with the nitrate kit. Even if it did, the nitrite concentration is soo low that the nitrate kit would barely budge.

If a nitrate test gives you a false reading then there's a 99% chance that a mistake was made in the testing which results in a 0ppm ammonia. Ita not going to detect nitrite with the nitrate kit. Even if it did, the nitrite concentration is soo low that the nitrate kit would barely budge.

I was doubting the false results as well so i took my water to get tested at the LFS for a second opinion and they got very similar results as me. 0ppm Ammonia and 5ppm Nitrates. Also found my PH because i don't have a test, i think it was 7.6 or something like that.
they said my tank is pretty much ready for stocking so right after my vacation i'll start picking up some fish probably

Well that's a problem as nitrite is very toxic and should be a part of routine water quality testing. Just because there is no ammonia there still could be a nitrite spike.

scared i may have screwed up

I moved the goldfish out of the ten gallon i was cycling because i was getting consistent readings of 0ppm Ammonia and 5 - 20 ppm Nitrates (it gradually went up). Once i moved the goldfish out, i put in the heater for the fish that will be going in and also bought a couple more plants. When i was putting the plants in it kicked up a bunch of stuff, whether it was pieces of plant, stuff from the bottom, whatever. The tank looked a bit messy so i vacuumed up the mess and did ~40% water change just because thats what came out when i was vacuuming. No new fish were added thus far. I tested the water 2 hours after the PWC and vacuum and Ammonia was at .25ppm and Nitrates dropped between 0 and 5ppm.

Did i screw up my whole cycle or will it only take a day or so to get back on track?

Back
Top Bottom