Help with lowering PH levels... Advice Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok.. so as I wait for my tank to cycle my research continues. Now I come to the issue of PH levels. Right now (from my API test kit) my PH levels are around 7.6 in my tank (this is also the PH straight from my tap water). I intend on getting a pair of German Blue Rams (GBR) and some Cardinal Tetra. This guy at the LFS, which seem to really know what he was talking about, said that I should lower my PH levels to around the 6 something range. He showed me his display tank which was a very large community planted tank that had a PH at around 6 something. The GBR in that tank had very vivid colors and looked real healthy. He then showed me another tank that was a species only tank of GBR's (of the same batch of those in the display tank) that really lacked in color. I asked him if they were younger or something. He said that they looked like that because the PH was very high at 7.6.

So his advice to me was to use peat moss in my filter to lower the PH since I do not have a planted tank or any substrate that would naturally do this. However, he said that it would change the color of my water to a brownish-yellowish tint. I would prefer to keep my water crystal clear. Do any of you guys have experience with peat moss? Will the activated carbon clear the water color but still allow the peat moss to lower (or buffer) the PH? He also mentioned reverse osmosis water but at $2.50 a gallon, I'm not for that. Has anyone tried API PH Down? What works...Please advise... thank you! :confused:

read this...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/sick-german-ram-124540-2.html

the post from bs6749 will tell you everything you need to know... if the search function was working, i would tell you to search ph on here and see how many threads have been made asking about ph. In all reality, a stable ph between 6-8 is fine for most any fish (very few, if any, *need* a certain ph). If you start doctoring your ph, you'll more than likely end up with one that is unstable, which is something you dont want at all! Id be willing to say ph is one of the most misunderstood parameters in an aquarium. HTH

Ok.. so as I wait for my tank to cycle my research continues. Now I come to the issue of PH levels. Right now (from my API test kit) my PH levels are around 7.6 in my tank (this is also the PH straight from my tap water). I intend on getting a pair of German Blue Rams (GBR) and some Cardinal Tetra. This guy at the LFS, which seem to really know what he was talking about, said that I should lower my PH levels to around the 6 something range. He showed me his display tank which was a very large community planted tank that had a PH at around 6 something. The GBR in that tank had very vivid colors and looked real healthy. He then showed me another tank that was a species only tank of GBR's (of the same batch of those in the display tank) that really lacked in color. I asked him if they were younger or something. He said that they looked like that because the PH was very high at 7.6.

So his advice to me was to use peat moss in my filter to lower the PH since I do not have a planted tank or any substrate that would naturally do this. However, he said that it would change the color of my water to a brownish-yellowish tint. I would prefer to keep my water crystal clear. Do any of you guys have experience with peat moss? Will the activated carbon clear the water color but still allow the peat moss to lower (or buffer) the PH? He also mentioned reverse osmosis water but at $2.50 a gallon, I'm not for that. Has anyone tried API PH Down? What works...Please advise... thank you! :confused:

Like you, I've spent a lot of time looking for advice. But what I've discovered with lots of research regarding pH is that unless it is spectacularly high or low, by that I mean >8.5 or <5.0 then it's not worth messing about with it.

There are various means and chemicals to adjust your pH but they either cause problems in themselves or without daily testing and adjustment can cause your levels to go up and down rapidly, it's changes, more so than high levels which cause the most stress to fish.

Your pH of 7.6 is pretty much bang on ideal for the vast majority of fish, and you shouldn't go messing with that unless there is a specific fish you want that absolutely cannot tollerate a pH of that level. Personally if there is I would rule it out and get something else that can!

Thanks guys for the advice. Aside from what you guys mentioned, I found a great article that explains in detail the risks envolved in altering the PH levels (article LINK). I know now that I shouldn't do this through chemical means. It also mentions about lowering the PH "slowly and safely" through the use of peat moss or driftwood. However, I want to know if you can use the peat moss in the filter in combination with activated carbon? I would like to counteract the discoloration of the water (tea color) from the tannins being released and keep my water as crystal clear as possible. Can I have the best of both worlds here? LOL

I'm telling you, the GBR's at this LFS were from the same stock but totally looked different in coloration. The GBR's in the high PH tank looked pale while the GBR's in the community planted tank looked vibrant and healthy in comarison. The shop keeper explained to me that it was the lower PH levels due in part by the natural substrate and plants. Can this be achieved in a non-planted tank safely with stability? I took on the hobby of fish keeping to visually admire some exotic fish. I want my GBR's to shine at their full potential. So if lowering the PH will achieve this, I'm all for it.

Yes, you can lower pH with peat, but the result likely will not be spectacular, esp. with just stuffing a little bit in the filter.

The recommended peat filtering (from the KRIB FAQ) is to put a gal or 2 of peat in a 5 gal bucket, punch holes in the bottom to make a filter, then circulate water (from your storage container) through the peat with a PH. Do this for a few days till you get to the pH you want & use that water. You need a lot of peat (or driftwood) to lower pH, far more than can be accommodated in the usual tank. <if you have a large sump, that is a different story.>

The only safe way to keep your water pH low & stable is to use a reverse osmosis unit, and add a neutral buffer to RO water. Most other methods create instability & cause more problems that it is worth. And at pH of 7.6, it really isn't worth it to doctor your water.

I'm telling you, the GBR's at this LFS were from the same stock but totally looked different in coloration. The GBR's in the high PH tank looked pale while the GBR's in the community planted tank looked vibrant and healthy in comarison.

is there any chance the ones in the high ph tank were in a standard lfs tank that was overcrowded? of course fish in a nice planted tank are going to look better because it is more natural than an empty tank with a bunch of other fish in it...

@jsoong I think you're right. It may just not be worth the trouble of having to doctor my PH levels in the water. I suppose down the road when I have more space and resources, I'll just go all out with a large planted tank with all the natural buffers that would enable a lower PH.

@mfdrookie516 You know what that didn't occur to me. The GBR species only tank were in a standard LFS tank. Looked to be around the 15 gallon size with approx 10 small GBR's in it. They had no plants in there and just gravel. I know that GBR's require a lot of vegetation to feel comfortable. So aside from the PH levels, they may have been stressed or something.

I guess I'll just abandon the whole control over the PH for now and see how it turns out. THANK YOU GUYS!

Back
Top Bottom