Help with my new tank... Please :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria52797

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I'm new to this site. So I'm still trying to figure it out lol. But I had 12 guppies in a 10gal. Now i. Got a 30 or 40 gallon and I just got 2 albino corycats. 1 bronze corycat. My original 12 guppies. 3 platies. And 3 silvertip tetras. One of my platies is swimming around all happy. One comes out sometimes and them hides for a while. And one just keeps hiding and won't come out... Why is she hiding??

Ps. Those pics are from when I only had the guppies.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110525_135021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110525_135021.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20110525_135044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110525_135044.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 89
Did you cycle the tank before moving all those fish in? If not they could be stressed out from ammonia.

Well I cleaned it out super good and put clorine killer stuff in it. Then I put the guppies in. Then the next day I got the new fish and out them in. So it was running for a day before I put them in.

Well I don't have anything to text anything. What exactly are nitrates? I have trouble reading things online its hard for me to understand it.

Alexandria52797 said:
Well I don't have anything to text anything. What exactly are nitrates? I have trouble reading things online its hard for me to understand it.

Welcome to the site. You're going to need to do a lot of water changes over the next few weeks to make the tank cycle and save your fish. Is there any way you can return your fish and learn about cycling? We'll help all we can...but you need to research the nitrogen cycle as much as you can, buy a good test kit like an API Master Kit, and change the water every day for weeks. Try to see if you can return the fish or keep them with a friend who has an established tank.

Try to read over the article that was linked before. You need to keep the ammonia and nitrIte levels under .25 at all times to keep your fish from suffering until the tank is cycled.

If reading is difficult for you there is one thing that might help. Go to http://www.petfishtalk.com
They have several shows about keeping pet fish you can listen to. They have some special shows about starting a new tank and many other things. When I got started keeping fish their shows answered many of my questions. that being said fish need more than water between glass to live and it would behove you to do some research or your just going to be disappointed.

Wouldn't it help a lot to take the filter media from the 10 gal and put it in the larger tank? Provided it was kept in tank water, that is.

Back
Top Bottom