Help With My Soon-To-Be 29 Gal FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treevore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on setting up a 29 gallon planted tank. Any FW people here can help me First, is there a natural method of lowering pH (IE certain driftwoods)? Also, I plan on using a single AHSupply 55w PC. Is this good? Finally, other than around 5 corys, what fish do you recommend? I like the more "odd" fish that are less common, and please make sure they are totally peaceful. I plan on also having a pair of kribs.

Here is my equipment list, anyone with suggestions please bring 'em forward!
-29 AGA
-Penguin Bio-wheel 170 by Marineland
-Laterite/sand bottom, sand top
-AHSupply 55w 6400k kit
-Some sort of heater @ 100w

Thanks

First, check out this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2215&highlight=
This is a discussion about lighting a 29g planted tank. I can recommend a Visi Therm or Ebo Jager heater...both are very good and not terribly expensive. The corys are good...one of my favorite fish. A pair of Blue Rams (microgeophagus ramirezi) would go well I think.
Driftwood will lower pH some. It releases tannic acid into the water. Filtration through peat moss will also soften and lower the pH of water. It depends on how much you need to drop it. A better solution might be to use RO/DI water with something like "Discus Buffer" to achieve the desired pH. Most of the additives will initially lower the pH of tap water, but will not keep it down.
There has been some discussion about the use of a bio wheel in a planted tank. I like bio wheels very much and don't think there is a better bio filter for FW. However, they do create some surface turbulence. I guess the Penguin wouldn't be as bad since it doesn't have spray bars. The surface turbulence causes the C02 to be expelled from the water and the plants have to have a certain concentration of C02. Have you considered using a C02 system to supplement C02?
Logan J

bump.gif

Thanks very much Logan.

I am wondering if there is a good, but fairly inexpensive, canister filter I could use instead. That way, less turbulence. Also, would the rams go with the kribs? I love rams, but kribs get priority IMO.

Thanks, and hi Kevin; didn't know you were a member here.

Oops. one more thing.

How much would a CO2 system cost, one that would just give a little bit of nice CO2 for the plants?

Thanks, and hi Kevin; didn't know you were a member here.

Yeah, I hang out here every now and again (y)

As for a co2...you can do one of the yeast reactors pretty darn cheap...but they can get messy.

Well, Fluval and Rena Filstars are good canisters and are both at the lower end of the price range. I have had a Fluval 203 running for several years and it has never given any trouble. Never had a Filstar, but have heard good things about them.
The kribs and the rams should get along very well. The only exception I can think of might be the Ocellated Krib (pelvicachromis subocellatus) which, although mostly peaceful, establishes a territory and will defend it. The rams are very peaceful...bordering on timid. The only problem might be if either of them breeds, someone might get slapped around a little. The kribs (all species) can be somewhat defensive when they have eggs. The rams are not as bad.
Check this thread for info on a C02 system.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2215&highlight=
DBTetraguy mentioned a unit by Hagen. I'm sure he would be willing to share details about it.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom