Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

help with setting up first tank

Hi all

I am looking for advice on setting up a tank, I'm new to all this and theres so much information online I sort of feel overloaded with it all.
I have set the tank up put heater pump and filter on and water in, what do I need to do next? Ive had it turned on about a week so far
Thanks in advance and sorry to sound stupid

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help with setting up first tank

Have you got a test kit yet? Strongly recommended. API's master kit is one of the best. Strips are inaccurate. And actually strips are more expensive in the long run. The master gives over 125+ tests for about $25; a vial of strips, good for 25 tests can cost about $17-20. Get the kit and go to the topic of "fish- less" cycling. Very well written article on how to get your tank set up. The main piece of advice I can give you is go slowly, don't rush anything, and if not sure, ask! You will make some mistakes; I don't know of anybody in this hobby who hasn't. But most of all, enjoy!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Read up on cycling having your tank running alone doesn't actually prepare it for fish.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Take a look at this link for a fishless cycling guide.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nowhere View Post
Read up on cycling having your tank running alone doesn't actually prepare it for fish.
Where did you read this? The only thing you are doing to set up a tank for fish is grow a good colony of bacteria to properly convert the ammonia into nitrate.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was referring to lexi saying " I've had my tank running for a week so far " I'm assuming that ment with no fish inside and without adding ammonia.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nowhere View Post
I was referring to lexi saying " I've had my tank running for a week so far " I'm assuming that ment with no fish inside and without adding ammonia.
Ahh gotcha, I completely read that wrong

Tags
first tank, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com