help with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is almost cycled. So exciting. I really need advice on what type of fish I can get. I only have a 30L tank, so I can probably only get 8-10 small fish.
I would love 2 different species. Maybe two pairs and a school of about 6?

I really like corydoras. and tetras. Not so keen on guppies and any fish with long flowy fins.

I obviously want everyone to get along too. Any suggestions? Masha, maybe you have a few ideas of fish I could easily buy here?

Yay!
That was quick. Are you sure it's cycled? Hope so!

I really like corys. Some will say that a 30 litre is too small for them. You really need to get at least 4 corys as they need to be together otherwise they are shy and get a bit stressed.

Bronze corys are tough, peppered corys are a bit more sensitive but so pretty.

When choosing fish, be careful not to get only one or two of a "schooling" fish that needs to be in groups of 6 or more.

Another thing to watch out for is that some fish will be more aggressive in a small tank than they are in a larger. So for example, I had (in my ignorance) a single harlequin rasbora which is usually a very peaceful fish. But because I had a single male in a small tank, he got very nippy toward the other fish and tore at their fins.

I think that if I had several rasboras, it would have been fine.

Oh and something else that you may not be aware of - it's illegal to sell freshwater shrimp in South Africa. :( So while you can get shrimp on Gumtree or places like that, strictly speaking it's not legal.

Todd its a 30 Liter.
Masha, didn't know that about shrimp, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, ideally I would proably have to get 6 of a schooling fish and then 2 or 3 others who need to be in a big group.

I think im almost there with the cycling, maybe it happened a lot quicker because my tank is small but I went from 4ppm to 1 in about 5 days!

Others will correct me, (I'm not that experienced with stocking choices!) but here are some possibilities that I know you can get in our shops.

Harlequin Rasbora Harlequin - Rasbora heteromorpha

Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra - Megalamphodus megalopterus
(I'd love some of these but have no space in my tank, they have a cool, darting way of swimming)

I think you could probably have a small gourami, like a honey gourami? Not sure - and it would depend on what other fish you have.

Avoid silvertip tetra - I've found they get a bit nippy in a small tank.

30 liters is only about 7 gallons, so you are VERY limited. Take a look at this site. I have referenced them because they have an extensive list of nano fish compared to most places. I have never ordered from them so I can not speak for their reputation or quality of fish.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

If you are willing to do a single species you open up some other possibilities.

No clue what's available in South Africa, but nano fish are your best bet. There are species of tetra, rasbora, danio, and even loaches that only grow to 2-3 cm. There are also a few species of Hara catfish that are small enough for that size tank.

If you love cories, look for dwarf cories or pygmy cories. Dwarf cories look just like bigger cories but only get to be an inch, so you may be able to get away with a tiny school.

Got some ideas today. I really loved the albino corydoras. SO beautiful. As too are the leopard corydoras. Would they be happy in a tank with glowlight tetras?

I would presume that the malawi orange cichlid is not an option for a 30liter tank?

Thanks for the input, will look into nano fish and also the dwarf corys, didnt see any of them today but will have a look around.

:)

The only species of cory that would work for your tank is the dwarf (pygmy) cory.

Albinos grow up to 3 inches, tho 2 is more common. Albino Corydora - Corydora Aeneus

Same with leopards Corydoras leopardus (Leopard Cory) — Seriously Fish

Glowlights would be pushing it, they really need something closer to 70 liters Hemigrammus erythrozonus (Glowlight Tetra) — Seriously Fish

You have an extremely small tank and need to stock it carefully for it to be successful. Nano fish are not easy to find in most stores. You will likely need to order online if you want a schooling fish. Your others options would be a small solitary fish like a betta, a dwarf puffer, or an invert tank with snails or shrimp.

Thanks for all the advice guys I realise now that I will probably need to get a bigger tank if I want a community tank, but I am going to start with my 30L one seeing as I have already set it all up and almost completely cycled. I am trying to look into nano fish but it seems quite hard to find in SA. I did find a great LFS who stocks dwarf and pygmy cories. Could I have about 5 of them in my 30L tank and how will a single betta do?
WHat are my other options if any for single fish with the dwarf corys?

Oh! What shop, if you don't mind me asking?

The obvious answer is a betta, but you said you are not interested in those, right?

Fantastic, thanks for that information. I can drive out there...

Yes it's tough stocking such a small tank. Fish either need more space or they need to be in a bigger group than the tank can handle...

On the other hand, if you get a betta, you wont need to upgrade your filter, as far as I know, anyway.

I think a betta with tiny cories will be great. He shouldn't bother them.

You'll at least get to pick between the dwarfs and pygmys, they actually look quite different from each other

Thanks Threnjen. I have also since found some mini and spotted dwarf rasboras. A few of them will perhaps work in my tank right? that's if I don't get the betta?

Back
Top Bottom