help with tank selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought a 10 gallon tank and am looking to move my betta over. I am cycling it fishless and wondering what tank mates would go well with my betta. My plan is 3 cory's 3 balloon mollies and maybe a couple platys. I'm wondering if this is too much for the small tank and if so which one should I leave out. Suggestions?

Welcome to AA

I think that will be to much for the 10G tank, I also think that bettas do much better alone, specially in a small tank such as this.

I don't know to much about mollies and plattys with bettas, somebody else will help you here for sure.

Just like other animals, each betta kind of has a personality of its own. You may find yourself with a betta that is rather docile, or find yourself with one that will nip at anything that moves.

I've read that bettas are okay with corys, as they generally utilize different areas of the tank. However, with mollies and platys, I just wouldn't take the risk. In a small tank, there is less room for the more docile fish to swim away if faced with an attacker. This could eventually lead to heartbreak.

Also, balloon mollies are a little different. The shape of their spine makes them slower swimmers, and a bit helpless when faced with an attacker.

I would honestly just keep the betta and avoid any sticky situations.

Back
Top Bottom