Help with transferring fish to bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndonmsp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 7 gallon tank with 4 small goldfish in it. With two air stones, two filters and frequent changes, the water quality is good i think ( no ammonia, no nitrite, ph 7.8 and nitrate 12.5ppm). But I read that goldfish require lots of space to grow so I'm thinking of buying a new 30 gallon tank (cant get bigger since i dont have space in my house).
What is the best way to transfer the fish?
I'm thinking of cycling the new tank with fish (maybe a couple of barbs).
But should I transfer some live plants/substrate/rock to the new tank? Thought that might help introduce the friendly bacteria.
Any thoughts on a fast, safe (for fish) and practical way to do this?
Help appreciated :)

Look into fishless cycling as it is more humane than cycling with a fish. I would put goldys in a 55g minimum, but thats just me. They can get up to and beyond 8" so be warned. They are coldwater fish, so DO NOT put any fish like barbs or any other tropical fish in with them.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I live in Singapore, where 90% of the population is housed in cramped public flats. So definitely no ponds around (I keep dreaming of one though).

Also, if i want to situate the new tank where my current tank is, is there anyway to "move" the old tank. I've heard you shouldnt lift a water filled tank, even if you could. What if I remove 50% of the water then made a physical move?

you dont need the old water. yes you shouldnt move a tank with water in it. you can just move the filter and gravel in the new tank and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom