HERE WE GO!!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there...
So here is the deal. My partner and I have just purchased this big glass box and I want to know what to do with it. JUST KIDDING! We just bought a 75 Gallon tank with all the trimmings(filter, heater, kit, gravel, hood, light, etc.) - no fish yet of course - and I wanted to know what steps I should go ahead and start following. When I was younger I had smaller tanks and took care of them real well, however, when I went to the fish store to buy the tank, the guy told me that undergravel filters were "old school" which leaves me to believe there are better, "new school" ways of setting up our tank. I am planning on doing it all fresh-water(just cause) and I want to set it up with live plants and stuff, but I just wanted to know if there is a new line of thinking or steps to follow in setting it up. Consider us "born again" aquarist virgins - we have done it in the past, but it has been a while. Any new advice? Thanks....this site is too cool for words. Kinda scary though. I could see myself getting addicted to it.

Come on. Get addicted. Just be careful of the side effects. One of the biggest side effects is MTS.

Those who suffer from MTS start out with 1 tank and over the course of a year or less find themselves with Multiple Tanks.

:mrgreen:

Really its great to have you here. Ye, ol' born again aquarists.

So to sum it up you have a 75 gal tank

Your looking to do a planted tank or atleast a community tank with some real plants.

Any specific fish your want or feel you have to have?

I ask this because many times people will have a list of fish that are "must haves" so if you do its good to know what they are so your tank can be planned around them.

Thanks for responding!
So for now, I would love to set up a real nice community fresh-water tank. Some live plants or all would be great. Of course I want to start off real simple and not get in over my head, so I was hoping you, or any other "experienced" tank studs/ettes, can provide me with helpful information in setting this baby up. I want simple community fish for now - angels, live-bearers, etc. and some live plants. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks again!
Bondstreet

Consider us "born again" aquarist virgins

I'm with you. Been into aquariums since I was a kid. Have read more and learned more in the last month than 30 some years. A lot of it came from this site which is incredible.

live plants... Any new advice?

Yes. I just set up my system for live plants. I've tried live plants in the past with terrible results. I decided to go with live plants about a month ago and have been doing some research since. The single common item that I have read on every site is having sufficient light, which is about 2 watts per gallon for low light level plants. I had 30 watts per 55 g so I was no where near the suggested amount. Last weekend I put together a light kit that I bought online. Now I have 110+ watts for the 55g and have started getting some plants. It's so bright now that the fish have to wear sunglasses! 8)

I still have a lot to learn about planted tanks, and am sure I will have a lot of problems. Need to figure out what to do about fertilizing and that type of stuff.

Welcome by the way!
Tom

Tom is right on the money with the lighting,
You may also want to look into a C02 system for plants to balance out the carbon dioxide produced.
As for filteration I hear under gravel filters work okay, but we use Aqua clear.
they would probley be the best way to go for filteration. you can use different types of media in them,
one that is suited well for plant fertilization and making your water more softer (which is good for Angels) is Peat,
there you go two birds one stone peat in the filter lowers pH and fertilzes the plants.
hope this input helps.
Chris.
PS if you go with Aqua clear for a 72 gall you may need two 300's thats what we use on our 72 gall.
And one thing to remember with Plants Avoid using Carbon filteration.
as it destroys the nutrients the plants need to survive on.
:wink: Good luck.

As for filteration I hear under gravel filters work okay, but we use Aqua clear.

UG filters are not good for planted tanks, the roots of the plants disrupt the water flow under the filter causing it to become inefficient, and the plants don't grow well. (I could go on, but that's the gist of it)

And one thing to remember with Plants Avoid using Carbon filteration.
as it destroys the nutrients the plants need to survive on.

Wll, it doesn'r eally destroy nutrients, but it will remove trace element that plants need to thrive. Carbon can be used during the cycling process, but I don't use it after the nitro. cycle is complete.

Filtration, I really like my cannister filter, I have an Ehiem 2218 on my 90 gallon planted tank. Anything over a 55, I highly suggest a cannister as opposed to a hang on filter.

Questions:
What kind of filter did you get with your kit?

How much light do you have in the hood you purchased? I'm guessin it's a single strip, but how many watts?

There are a fair number of plants that can grow well with low light, or if you can set it up so it gets afew hours of sunlight, that will increase your range of plants you can keep.

It took a while during/after the nitro cycle, but it's crystal clear. Since it's a planted tank, I dont want the trace elements removed, plants need them or they turn yellow and sickly.

In tanks with few plants or fake ones, i do use carbon. The same trace elements that plants like, fish don't like, at least if they build up too much.

You guys are such rock stars. I love using this site for advice!
Anyways, my tank arrives tommorrow with all the other stuff as well(here in NY we don't drive cars, so we have to have things delivered - urgh). I will let you know all of the stats on my filter(which I know is an Eheim), light wattage, etc...
Question though - is it a good idea or even possible to have live and platic plants in the tank and it not be a problem? Just curious. Again, I won't put any fish in the big glass box till you guys say it's ok ;) (or at least my local aquarist dude does) Thanks again!

You guys are such rock stars

Then where are my groupies???!!! :p

Question though - is it a good idea or even possible to have live and platic plants in the tank and it not be a problem?

I see no reason you couldn't. Prolly low light live plants, and some fake ones that look like plants you can't keep without high light. I've done it in the past with OK results, though I'm a live plant purist now. :)

Just curious.

Aren't we all at least a little curious??? :D

Back
Top Bottom