Hey guys :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelh1020

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I recently was given I believe a 55-60 gallon tank. I wasn't sure if it was for fish or reptiles because it had a metal top. I filled it completely up with water no leaks and it didn't explode with water bursting everywhere :)! So should I move to the next step (buying the equipment filter,heater, etc..)? Any recommendations? My first tank I'm excited :D

I would let it sit a few days and make sure it doesn't leak. Then you might want to decide what you want to put in it that way you don't buy anything you don't need. But make sure you cycle your tank before adding any fish first!

I did let it sit for 2 days and it doesn't seem to have any leakage :) so any suggestions on where to start?

I would figure out what you want to stock your tank with and try to make sure you stay under stocked in whatever you decide to stock with. Keeping in mind that most fish will grow larger then when you first get them. I made this mistake with my first tank and eventually had to upgrade. Once you figure out what you want to stock with I would do some research on them. Just to see if they are messy and need extra filtration, if they are tropical and need a heater. Once you figure all that out set up your tank with everything you want in it and cycle it for a month or two with NO FISH! Keep a close eye on your water quality (I usually get it tested at the pet store for free) also. Once your tank is cycled you could start adding fish but I wouldn't add too many at one time maybe two or three at a time so you don't cause any spikes in your water levels.

I'm not as much of an expert as most people on here but I have learned through trial and error with my first tank and research. I found the best research is from forums and YouTube and not to rely too much on info I get from the pet store.

You do have quite a lot of room to work with so once your tank is cycled and your water levels are ideal you shouldn't need to worry too much about any huge level spikes. Or being overstocked.

Welcome Angel,

Well a 55 is a good tank to start as the larger the tank, the more room for error while learning. I would start by buying a filter that is more than you need, one made for a 75-100
gallon maybe? Try to find one that will let you adjust The flow, i prefer canister filters buy they are expensive.It's always better to overfilter. I would buy a heater and set it to 86 degree to help the biologicals cycle faster. Buy some ammonia and begin to cycle your tank, there is good information on here that can explain it. The most important thing is not to rush as it will cost you more money and frustration in the long run. Ohh yeah and have fun with it too, picking out fish and learning about them is part of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom