Hi all,new member with ? about water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creg1974

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon aquarium that has been going for about 5-6 weeks.I used tetra safe start when first set up.Everything has been good,0 ammonia,0 nitrites,about 10-20ppm nitrates.I have been doing weekly 25% water changes and tank has looked great.Noticed yesterday water is a little cloudy.After doing my water change today I tested water.My ammonia is 0,nitrites is in the purple now 2ppm - 5ppm,hard to tell from my scale,colors look the same,and nitrates is about 30ppm.What has changed?I feed fish 1 time a day and no more than they can eat in about a minute.Is the tank cycling?From what I read about safestart it would cycle without having high readings.I have put a capful of prime in to try and lower nitrites and will continue to change water daily until its under control.Is there anything else I should be doing?Any advice would be appreciated.Thank you.

I have 3 guppies,2 neon tetras,2 glow danios,1 glow tetra,2 mollies and 1 pleco.

I have a 20 gallon aquarium that has been going for about 5-6 weeks.I used tetra safe start when first set up.Everything has been good,0 ammonia,0 nitrites,about 10-20ppm nitrates.I have been doing weekly 25% water changes and tank has looked great.Noticed yesterday water is a little cloudy.After doing my water change today I tested water.My ammonia is 0,nitrites is in the purple now 2ppm - 5ppm,hard to tell from my scale,colors look the same,and nitrates is about 30ppm.What has changed?I feed fish 1 time a day and no more than they can eat in about a minute.Is the tank cycling?From what I read about safestart it would cycle without having high readings.I have put a capful of prime in to try and lower nitrites and will continue to change water daily until its under control.Is there anything else I should be doing?Any advice would be appreciated.Thank you.

I have 3 guppies,2 neon tetras,2 glow danios,1 glow tetra,2 mollies and 1 pleco.

I had that problem before too. I just did a %20 water change every day or every other day. I also doubled up on the prime when I treated new water. It should clear up soon. Just watch and make sure your fish don't look stressed.

Keep a watch on your water parameters (nitrates , ammonia, nitrites) like you are doing and continue to do your pwc (partial water changes) have you added more fish recently if so the added bio load could have brought on a mini cycle

Back
Top Bottom