Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here is my qu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kione

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 28l tank with 3 danios, one paradise fish, a sucker fish and a shrimp. I am cycling a 60l one and I would not want to have both running, so ideally I will transfer all the fish to the new tank and add some more but I am not sure what as I don't really like small fish... I like my paradise and would love to have more... Any ideas please??? Thanks!

Kione

60l I believe is 15 gallons. You had all those fish in a 7 gallon tank?! Geez...

I think you should do:
1 paradise fish
6 zebra danios (prefer to be in schools)
6 otocinclus (I assume this is the suckerfish you have? These prefer to be in schools). Search up otocinclus, Chinese algae eater, and pleco and tell me which one you have because I'm sure it's one of those 3.

I tried this setup on aqadvisor and it says this is already too much so don't get any more fish other than what I have listed.

I agree with Pseudo, why dont you opt for something larger? Price per liter actually goes down.

Regardless, I am glad you are part of the community and I hope I can be of service

If you like larger fish a 115 to 285 liter tank would be a good and managable size. The 285 could have a 30cm fish and the 115 could have a 12 cm fish. In america we have a tank called a 40 breeder which has great dimensions for larger fish. Not trying to deter you, just trying to help is all.

Anyways, what size fish would you like?

I was advised at the shop that I could have up to 8 small fish on my first tank! So keeping to 4 and a shrimp I thought it was good. The water parameters are good anyway.
The sucker fish is a loach and I wouldn't want to have more as I don't like them... I have it for its cleaning habilities...
And at the moment no space for a bigger tank :(

Kione

Sorry its the Chinese algae eater I got. And as much as I love my danios them plus the brownish paradise are a bit dull, I want color... Maybe I asking too much!

Kione

Icydeath, I don't want huge fish either, up to 5cm would be great. For some reason I don't like the tiny schooling fish

Kione

Maybe a betta for color? And a fast swimming schooling fish, a rasbora type? Make sure the betta is not a plakat (they tend to be more aggressive and faster than betta with long fins).
Don't pick fin nippers (cardinals and tetras in general can be nippy). Don't know about the danio.
Also get rid of the chinese algae eater when it matures. They become aggressive most times.
Btw my profile pic is a Halfmoon Betta.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here ...

For one thing. Don't listen to the guy/girl at the LFS anymore that says its "required" to have an algae eater in the tank. Plenty of people do just fine without them as long as you maintain water changes and don't over feed. They can be a nice addition but are never "required" for a clean healthy tank.

I'm not good with liters but 15 gallons would easily hold a nice school of harlequin rasporas or zebra danios. Otocinclus are small algae eaters that actually good at cleaning the tank. They can be sensitive though so it's good to have the tank running for a little while before adding them.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Would the harlequin rasboras get on with my 3 danios? I don't want any more danios am looking for color.
I don't like otos...
What about gouramis? I really like them and I have one paradise already :)
Thanks for replies!!

Kione

Can someone tell me if this paradise is a male? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425397501.571360.jpg

Kione

Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here ...

I think it is but it doesn't have very long fins and bright color... I could get a mate for him in the new tank?

Kione

I will try my best but he or she its scared of the phone :)

Kione

Oh and my sucker is a butterfly loach, they don't grow much and are peaceful.

Kione

Could be totally wrong, but I think it is female.

Anyways about the algae eater, you really don't need one and that CAE will be a nightmare in the future... If you decide to return it or rehome it and still want an algae eater I would suggest a colony of red cherry shrimp or a group of amanos (or both). They have a low bioload, are really interesting, and really put the hurt to the algae. You would have to supplement their feeding every once in a while though.

EDIT: I noticed you said you had a butterfly loach instead, you should see if it will eat algae tabs. They really are a cold water fish and can be hard to feed at times.

Oh the tank is temperate and the loach is doing great :)
I have been told that I can warm the water one degree a day, so the my loach wouldnt be ok?
I am going to move them to the 60l tonight, but still temperate water while I continue my research

Kione

Back
Top Bottom