Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here is my qu

I have a 28l tank with 3 danios, one paradise fish, a sucker fish and a shrimp. I am cycling a 60l one and I would not want to have both running, so ideally I will transfer all the fish to the new tank and add some more but I am not sure what as I don't really like small fish... I like my paradise and would love to have more... Any ideas please??? Thanks!

Kione

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

60l I believe is 15 gallons. You had all those fish in a 7 gallon tank?! Geez...

I think you should do:
1 paradise fish
6 zebra danios (prefer to be in schools)
6 otocinclus (I assume this is the suckerfish you have? These prefer to be in schools). Search up otocinclus, Chinese algae eater, and pleco and tell me which one you have because I'm sure it's one of those 3.

I tried this setup on aqadvisor and it says this is already too much so don't get any more fish other than what I have listed.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Pseudo, why dont you opt for something larger? Price per liter actually goes down.

Regardless, I am glad you are part of the community and I hope I can be of service
Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you like larger fish a 115 to 285 liter tank would be a good and managable size. The 285 could have a 30cm fish and the 115 could have a 12 cm fish. In america we have a tank called a 40 breeder which has great dimensions for larger fish. Not trying to deter you, just trying to help is all.

Anyways, what size fish would you like?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 AM   #5

I was advised at the shop that I could have up to 8 small fish on my first tank! So keeping to 4 and a shrimp I thought it was good. The water parameters are good anyway.
The sucker fish is a loach and I wouldn't want to have more as I don't like them... I have it for its cleaning habilities...
And at the moment no space for a bigger tank

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 02:37 AM   #6

Sorry its the Chinese algae eater I got. And as much as I love my danios them plus the brownish paradise are a bit dull, I want color... Maybe I asking too much!

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #7

Icydeath, I don't want huge fish either, up to 5cm would be great. For some reason I don't like the tiny schooling fish

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe a betta for color? And a fast swimming schooling fish, a rasbora type? Make sure the betta is not a plakat (they tend to be more aggressive and faster than betta with long fins).
Don't pick fin nippers (cardinals and tetras in general can be nippy). Don't know about the danio.
Also get rid of the chinese algae eater when it matures. They become aggressive most times.
Btw my profile pic is a Halfmoon Betta.

Sent per three-eyed raven..
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here ...

For one thing. Don't listen to the guy/girl at the LFS anymore that says its "required" to have an algae eater in the tank. Plenty of people do just fine without them as long as you maintain water changes and don't over feed. They can be a nice addition but are never "required" for a clean healthy tank.

I'm not good with liters but 15 gallons would easily hold a nice school of harlequin rasporas or zebra danios. Otocinclus are small algae eaters that actually good at cleaning the tank. They can be sensitive though so it's good to have the tank running for a little while before adding them.

Hope this helps

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #10

Would the harlequin rasboras get on with my 3 danios? I don't want any more danios am looking for color.
I don't like otos...
What about gouramis? I really like them and I have one paradise already
Thanks for replies!!

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Can someone tell me if this paradise is a male? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425397501.571360.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	266097

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Hi everyone, I am new here... I have enjoyed reading other threads! And here ...

I think it is but it doesn't have very long fins and bright color... I could get a mate for him in the new tank?

Kione
Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe it is female. Could I get a side view?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 AM   #14

I will try my best but he or she its scared of the phone

Kione
Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 AM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425456375.189741.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	266206
Best I could get this morning!

Kione
Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #16

Oh and my sucker is a butterfly loach, they don't grow much and are peaceful.

Kione
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be totally wrong, but I think it is female.

Anyways about the algae eater, you really don't need one and that CAE will be a nightmare in the future... If you decide to return it or rehome it and still want an algae eater I would suggest a colony of red cherry shrimp or a group of amanos (or both). They have a low bioload, are really interesting, and really put the hurt to the algae. You would have to supplement their feeding every once in a while though.

EDIT: I noticed you said you had a butterfly loach instead, you should see if it will eat algae tabs. They really are a cold water fish and can be hard to feed at times.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #18

Oh the tank is temperate and the loach is doing great
I have been told that I can warm the water one degree a day, so the my loach wouldnt be ok?
I am going to move them to the 60l tonight, but still temperate water while I continue my research

Kione

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com