Hi there, doing a fish in cycle, do I change my water now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jill said:
+1

I think now would be a great time. You can get a huge bag of pool filter sand from Home Depot or Lowe's for $5. :)

Ahhh! Wish I woulda seen this earlier! The nearest pet place near me is 45 minutes away, I made that venture today. I bought a 30 pound bag of sand for $30! That's not nearly enough either and that broke me until next week... I will be going to the hardware next weekend and gettin me some of that sand! But dang, after a week I will probably be in the midst of a full on cycle? Right? I really wish I woulda just done the sand right from the get go :(

Waaaaaaah! Just checked my parameters :( that active filter gave me hope that there would be some sort of change :/ but no, things are the same:

Temp. 78
Ph. 8.0
Amm. .25
Trites. 0
Trates. 0

Boooooo!

Waaaaaaah! Just checked my parameters :( that active filter gave me hope that there would be some sort of change :/ but no, things are the same:

Temp. 78
Ph. 8.0
Amm. .25
Trites. 0
Trates. 0

Boooooo!

You just got the filter today right? Give it 24-48 hours, you should see some change by then hopefully. You can switch out the sand or add more anytime, most of the bacteria live in the filter and since the tank is new you won't have much of it in the sand anyway so it won't affect anything. I upgraded my tank a few months ago and changed out the substrate and all the decor and it didn't affect things at all.

librarygirl said:
You just got the filter today right? Give it 24-48 hours, you should see some change by then hopefully. You can switch out the sand or add more anytime, most of the bacteria live in the filter and since the tank is new you won't have much of it in the sand anyway so it won't affect anything. I upgraded my tank a few months ago and changed out the substrate and all the decor and it didn't affect things at all.

Great news on the sand! Yay! That makes me a happy girl! :D

Can you take the old sand back? I know some of my stores here let me...

Hobgob said:
Can you take the old sand back? I know some of my stores here let me...

I got it from Petsmart, so I think they will take it back :) I also noticed its aragonate (sp?) So it alters ph, my ph has been running about 8.0 so Idk if I should use anything that messes with that?!

Haha good to hear, hopefully the cycle finishes quickly.

yay! glad things are going better. I have done so many water changes now I am beginning to feel like a pro! I have been doing a fish in cycle on my 20 gallon since Christmas!
the showing up of nitrites is a big step - at least it was for me. i think it took 1-2 days before i really noticed a big change in my water after I got the new filter in there

Back
Top Bottom