High nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
9/15/11 Nitrite at 1 again so I did a 50% pwc. Tested later in the day and still at 1 so did another 50% pwc.

9/16/11 Nitrite at 1 again...50% pwc.

9/17/11 Nitrite at 1 again...1/3 pwc. Afternoon same reading...1/2 pwc. Evening nitrite between .5 and 1...1/3 pwc.

9/18/11 Nitrite at 1 again...1/2 pwc in morning. Nitrite between .5 and 1...1/2 pwc in evening.

9/19/11 Nitrite at 1 again...1/2 pwc 2 hours ago. Will do another 1/2 pwc before bedtime.

Those nitrites are stubborn!!!

It still seems like you need to do MORE PWC's.

Two a day! 1ppm nitrite all the time in the tank is going to result in unhealthy or even dead fish.

steez said:
It still seems like you need to do MORE PWC's.

Two a day! 1ppm nitrite all the time in the tank is going to result in unhealthy or even dead fish.

Agreed, those nitrites need to be <.25 at all times, you really need to stay on top of keeping them there.

Did about a 70% pwc when I got home from work...tested the nitrite and got a 0.5. Finally....something better than a 1...but yea... need it to be <0.25. I'll keep doing more pwc.

9/21/11
nitrite 1...50% pwc done
9/22/11
Did a 50% pwc 1st before testing...result was about .75 so I did another 50% pwc.
9/23/11
Did a 50% pwc 1st before testing...resulted was about 0.5.

Today did a 50% pwc before testing...tested 1 1/2 hr later...nitrite at 0.5.
Did another 50% pwc...1 1/2 hr later...nitrite at 0.5.

How often / how much are you feeding?

You may be feeding too much, and that's why you can't seem to get the nitrites lower. Don't feed them every day.

How often / how much are you feeding?

You may be feeding too much, and that's why you can't seem to get the nitrites lower. Don't feed them every day.

I only feed my 3 platies once a day and probably enough for 2 minutes or less so I know it's not the feeding...they're pigs and always still hanging near the top looking for more especially when we are near the tank...just have to keep on doing pwcs.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrite? Just to check....

If nitrites are at 1, say, and you do a 50% pwc, that only brings them down to .5 which is still high, so you'd need to do at least another 50% pwc to get them down to .25, which is borderline. I'd test the water before you do the water changes and then again after. Testing the water before pwc will let you know what the level is and how much of a pwc you need to do to get them under .25. The nitrite phase is tough, they want to rise fast and quickly, just keep on top of it, you're doing well. :D

Nitrites is generally caused by poor filters. When was the last time you replaced your carbon?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrite? Just to check....

If nitrites are at 1, say, and you do a 50% pwc, that only brings them down to .5 which is still high, so you'd need to do at least another 50% pwc to get them down to .25, which is borderline. I'd test the water before you do the water changes and then again after. Testing the water before pwc will let you know what the level is and how much of a pwc you need to do to get them under .25. The nitrite phase is tough, they want to rise fast and quickly, just keep on top of it, you're doing well. :D

I tested the tap water before and I believe it was at 0 (very light blue) but I did it again (tap water without declor) and it was as before...0 (very light blue). The last few days, I just automatically did at least a 50% pwc because I know it's going to be above the level I want and test it about 1-2 hrs later..It's gotten a little better of late...getting 0.5 after each of the 50% pwc yesterday. I know it's not what i want but is much better than getting 1. Still have to keep on top of it with pwc though. Thanks for the help.

Fish will always want more food so i would feed two or three flakes once a day of every other day preferably. Just think the more you feed them the more waste is coming out of them.

Fish will tolerate up to certain levels of nitrite. Ammonia is being converted and it always takes nitrite longer. Ammonia is.the most lethal. I personally wouldn't be doing loads of water changes if nitrite is 1. Every few days as long as they aren't building up in between.
I guess you are not touching your filter when you do water changes?

What is your nitrate and ph coming out at??

ddipsydavid said:
I personally wouldn't be doing loads of water changes if nitrite is 1. Every few days as long as they aren't building up in between.

Sorry, I've got to really disagree there. While there are some debates on what a tolerable short term level may be (obviously 0 is ideal)...keeping them as low as possible should be the general rule IMO. I think it'd be hard to find many aquarists who would believe 1ppm is an acceptable level to maintain. Since water changes won't have negative impacts on your cycle assuming they are done correctly (temp matched, dechlorinated water...not letting the tank dry out, etc...) I don't believe there are any reasons not to do pwc's as needed..other than a bit of back pain.

9/25/11
50% pwc in the morning...nitrites at 0.5 in the afternoon.
50% pwc at 4pm...nitrites at 0.5 at 530pm

9/26/11
50% pwc afternoon...nitrites at 0.25 :eek:

9/27/11
33% pwc afternoon...nitrites are very light blue color. (similar to what my fishless tank had)
nitrates between 10 and 20.:eek::eek:

Is my cycle done???? What next???

9/25/11
50% pwc in the morning...nitrites at 0.5 in the afternoon.
50% pwc at 4pm...nitrites at 0.5 at 530pm

9/26/11
50% pwc afternoon...nitrites at 0.25 :eek:

9/27/11
33% pwc afternoon...nitrites are very light blue color. (similar to what my fishless tank had)
nitrates between 10 and 20.:eek::eek:

Is my cycle done???? What next???

Nope. :) Ammonia and nitrite have to be at 0 on their own without water changes to keep them down. You should test the water before pwc to get an accurate reading of how fast they are building up, and then test again after the pwc to make sure they are low enough to be safe for the fish. You could be close, it's hard to tell whether the nitrites are coming down on their own or if the pwc are just keeping them down, which is why testing before the pwc gives a more accurate reading. Also don't let nitrates get to 20 at max, if they are at or near 20 or above, do another water change.

Nope. :) Ammonia and nitrite have to be at 0 on their own without water changes to keep them down. You should test the water before pwc to get an accurate reading of how fast they are building up, and then test again after the pwc to make sure they are low enough to be safe for the fish. You could be close, it's hard to tell whether the nitrites are coming down on their own or if the pwc are just keeping them down, which is why testing before the pwc gives a more accurate reading. Also don't let nitrates get to 20 at max, if they are at or near 20 or above, do another water change.

I will check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels after work tonight before pwc. Thanks.

9/28/11 results:
ammo 0
nitrite 0 (very light blue like yesterday)
nitrates 10

No pwc done today.

Back
Top Bottom