high nitrites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clmags19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got my first tank a little over a month ago. It's 10 gal, I wasn't told anything about cycling when I got it and didn't find out until I started reading stuff online which I obviously should have done first. I have 4 corys, 1 rubber nose pleco, and 3 small nerite snails. I had been doing weekly water changes since I got it and testing with api complete test strip and all has been normal until last week. Nitrites and nitrates are at the highest reading which I believe is nitrites 10 and nitrates 50. I have done 2 50% water changes and the readings were the same. I just put tetra safe start in 2 days ago and the readings are the same. I read TSS may not work with such high readings. All the fish are swimming and eating normal which is good I suppose. Except the snails spend most of their time out of the water at the top.....I don't know if my test strip are inaccurate because from everything I read they should all be dead.....I don't know what to do. Any help is welcome thanks!

Hey clmags, welcome to the forum, there are lots of very experienced fish keepers on this site who will offer help and suggestions. I haven't been on here too long but I have already learnt quite a bit.

1st I would say if you already havent, read this and understand it.
Second ditch the strips! ;) get the API liquid test kit, they are much more accurate.
Lastly it sounds like your tank is in the process of cycling so you just need to keep doing water changes and dosing with prime or a similar tap water conditioner.

good luck! im sure other folks will jump on and offer guidance too. (y)

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello cl...

A liquid water testing kit would be more accurate, but they're pricey. You should be testing daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, then remove and replace a quarter of the tank water with treated tap water. When several daily tests show no trace of the above toxins, the tank is cycled. Get some stems of Hornwort or Anacharis into the tank. These plants will help keep the water a bit cleaner between water changes.

Consider a larger tank, at least 20 to 30 gallons. They're much easier to maintain.

B

Thanks for the response. Can anyone recommend a good liquid test kit that will test for ammonia and nitrite levels?

Thanks for the response. Can anyone recommend a good liquid test kit that will test for ammonia and nitrite levels?

the API Master Test Kit‎ has everything you will need. around $20 all over the place web/stores

Got the master test kit and everything tested perfect! Guess that means cycling is done?

Got the master test kit and everything tested perfect! Guess that means cycling is done?

dose ammo to 2 ppm then it should should be processed all the way through to nitrates in around 24hrs. end up with 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and increased nitrates.

If you can get to this point where you can do this a couple of times and get the same results, then your done.

Oh and dont forget to do a 95% wc prior to getting any fish in there,

good luck (y)(y)

You cant dose ammo with fish in the tank, it will kill them in hours. Get the api test kit and keep up on daily water changes. Use PRIME by seachem to detox the ammonia and nitrites while cycling. It last 24-48 hours, so you will need to keep on those tests and water changes until you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-20 Nitrates. Then you are cycled and can relax a bit. It can take a long time, but its like science class, lol.

Back
Top Bottom