High Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GroveportSmitty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just got a great deal on a new aquarium. Unfortunately, I have made some mistakes during the transfer process. First mistake: I didn’t wash the new gravel before putting it in my tank. Second mistake: I used 65% of the water from the old tank thinking that would be helpful, wrong! I also used the old filter cartridge from the old tank but it was teetering on needing changed and I don’t know if this was beneficial or not. Long story short, my tank is slightly cloudy and somewhat yellow likely due to the driftwood from the old tank. I tested it yesterday, 2 days after set up and I have high nitrite levels. I added bio balls but I don’t know how long that will take. I also added 1 tablespoon of salt. The water hasn’t changed from yesterday. Should I do a water change?

I was just reading reviews for the eco stone bio rock that can be placed in tank near water flow and most everyone swears by it. I dont have cloudy water, but they say theirs cleared up in days. I am getting as just another source of beneficial bacteria growth as it is made with lava rock and porous. Maybe try it, hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom