high nitrites in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a fish in cycle with 4 tetras....my ammonia is at 0, my nitrite is between 0.5-1.0 and I've been doing 50% water changes every day. I just tested my tap water for nitrites and its definitely the same as my fish water....will the BB eventually be able to take care of this or is there something else I should do?

I'm doing a fish in cycle with 4 tetras....my ammonia is at 0, my nitrite is between 0.5-1.0 and I've been doing 50% water changes every day. I just tested my tap water for nitrites and its definitely the same as my fish water....will the BB eventually be able to take care of this or is there something else I should do?

Prime will detoxify nitrites. Just follow the dosing directions on the bottle based on your nitrite level and water volume. Bear in mind that Prime wears off within 48 hours so you may need to dose every couple of days until your biological filter is established enough to clear the nitrites on its own.

A little aquarium salt also reduces nitrite toxicity significantly, and lasts longer than Prime will (will only be removed from the tank as part of a water change). That said, I have never kept tetras, and while some web resources suggest that tetras can tolerate normal dosing of aquarium salt, you might want to research this a bit more before choosing this option.

Best!

I agree with that advice.
What kind of tetras do you have? How long have you been cycling? What are you nitrates at?

absolutangel04 said:
I agree with that advice.
What kind of tetras do you have? How long have you been cycling? What are you nitrates at?

I have neon tetras, I've been cycling for over a month now, my ammonia has been at 0 for about 5 days now, so I'm assuming that part of the cycle is complete, nitrites have been up and down for awhile, nitrates are between 5.0 and 10

Back
Top Bottom