High pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrikeJohnson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just switched from API test strips to the API liquid test. Everything was about the same except pH. With the new liquid tests, my results were too blue to register on the low pH test and too red to register on the high pH test. Is my water really above 8.8? It is a 20 gallon high tank with two large pieces of driftwood, which I read is supposed to lower pH. What should I do?

Live in rural area with well water that uses a salt softener. Water comes out of the tap at a pH of around 7.0-7.5. Really hard to tell with the colors on these tests.

Are you sure the tap ph is 7.5-7? Check your town's water quality report/parameters. My town is not good about posting those, and it is really hard to find, but yours might say so. Have you added anything to the tank, like chemicals or something? What substrate do you have?

We don't have treated water through the city. We have a well.

I used Caribsea instant substrate. It came with a small packet of Tetra Safestart. Use Prime water conditioner during water changes. We don't have any chlorine in the water, but I still use Prime because it is supposed to help with metals in the water.

It is hard to gauge the levels with the test kits. Seems all my levels usually fall in between the color markers, but if I had to guess it looks to be in the 7-7.5 range (orange with just a little hint of red).

What type of caribsea sand did you use? It sounds like you used the aragonite based sand which is supposed to raise your ph into the 8+ range. A red result on the high ph test is not 8.8 but more in the 8.2-8.4 range. 8.8 is purple.

Thanks, but I don't think thats it. It was peace river gravel. It's supposed to be pH neutral.

I can tell that 8.8 on the high Ph scale is purple. That's what is worrying me. The scale goes from orange/rusty colors to purple and my reading is a much darker reddish purple, which is not on the scale. Thats what makes me think my pH is ridiculously high.

Besides the driftwood, I have only plastic plants and a fake antique ceramic vase from Blue Ribbon.

Back
Top Bottom