High ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCShevalier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tested the Ph in my newly established aquarium last night and it scored an 8.2. This seems very high to me. It is set up with National Geographic Aquarium Sand, 1 Lava Rock, 1 Coconut Shell, 1 Piece of Drift Wood, 1 Clump of Java Moss and some plastic plants.

Any recommendations on lowering the ph? Is the chemical ph Down stuff any good? Will ph levels drop over time?

If the tank isn't cycled(sounds like it) then pH could change from now till after cycling is completed.

However, 8.2 is not a bad number. Fish adapt easier to a higher pH than soft because of mineral content. In soft water there is less minerals and in hard their is more.

NEVER use pH changing chemicals like pH Up and Down. These will only temporarily work and then recent the pH back to normal. This will cause tremendous stress on the fish rather than just letting it be.

Caleb

Hi RC. My ph stands around 8, and I keep and breed all different kinds of fish. Unless you plan on keeping a particularly sensitive species, I think it's much more important to keep the ph stable than try to alter the levels.
If for some reason you absolutely need to lower ph - driftwood or peat moss would be a much better choice than chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom