hmmm.. a 29 gallon for whatever I want!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
The other day I found a very inexpensively priced eclispe 29 gallon system on craigslist and took it home with me. After 3 hours of scrubbing mineral deposits and caked on algae out of the million little nooks and crannies on the hood and tank - it's almost perfect!

I've kept "community" and schooling fish (danios, corys, harlequins, neons, tetras, livebearers, some barbs, etc etc) in my 55g for three years and am really anxious to branch out and finally try something new. I want to keep something really different.

I'm loooking for suggestions or what you would do with a 29. I'm really thinking a species tank.... I've always loved Malawai cichlids and have read a few books about them but I think that a 29 would be too small? I'm up for just about anything really.

So I guess my question is, what would you keep if you had a freed up 29 gallon?

(I'd love to do a nano reef and take the plunge but my budget = non-reef friendly :p)

Probably a bit small for cichlids IMO.

Considered a brackish tank? I've always wanted to do one of those.

if you wanted to upgrade the lighting you could go planted.

A 29g is too small for Malawi cichlids, but you could have a little Tanganyikan community in there.

You could have some shell dwellers like N. multifasciatus/Multies, a pair of Julidochromis, and maybe a Calvus, though I'm not sure how they are with small Shellies. Wouldn't be a ton of fish, but they have really unique personalities (or fishonalities?) from what I've heard. It would definitely be something a bit different than the usual community tank.

I figured so. I don't know too much about brackish, I never even considered it!

Thanks JustOneMore. Really I'm looking into having "pet fish" rather than "show fish" for once, this aquarium is going to be in my living quarters verses the one I take care of for my parents. I've always had the show fish and want some fishionality :).

Back
Top Bottom