HO Filter Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwylui

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a quick question regarding the Aqua Clear hang on filter models.
which size would you recommend for a heavily populated and planted rectangular 21 gallon tank ? and the media to use with it ?

The Aquaclear 200 (200 gph) would be fine for that tank. I think they renamed it Aquaclear 50 or something. You can find it for about $14 at www.bigalsonline.com. The filter comes with a sponge, carbon insert, and a bag of ceramic rings that they call "Biomax". You should use the sponge for sure, but you can just rinse it in old tankwater during your water changes and you don't have to replace it like you do with cartridges in other filters. You can use the carbon insert if you want to, but you don't have to. If you use the carbon make sure you take it out after a week or so- after that it won't do anything beneficial and will actually leech toxins back into the water. Definitely use the ceramic rings, they give the bacteria more surfaces to grow on. The package tells you to change the rings every couple of months but I don't see why you would, it just sounds to me like they want you to buy more of them. You can also use stuff like filter floss and customize it. HTH :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom