HOB filter and biological filtration media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicdcarter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently just found this site, and I am brand new to aquariums. I have a 10 gallon tank with a single betta, whose fins are tearing and rotting away. I checked ammonia levels and this is a problem, shame on me for not having the correct filtration. I ended up buying a top fin 10 hang on back filter to solve the problem to be bummed out that it has no biological filtration. There is a gap I could potentially put a biological filtration media but I was curious if I could place sintered glass in that gap and have it be substantial enough to house enough bacteria.

Hi there,

ASAP, do a large water change with dechlorinator to get ammonia levels down. the filter will work, as long as the turnover is adequate. Someone who knows about that particular filter can probably say more about how to add more biological filtration if you want it, but in the meantime, please do a large water change to get ammonia levels down. The problem may not be the filter itself, but the fact that you are still cycling and need to do frequent water changes until your cycle is complete.

Once your tank is better established, bacteria will grow on the filter, glass, gravel, and any decorations you have in your tank and will work to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down in your tank. You don't really need a filter with additional biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom