HOB Filter - Intake Tube Length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an Aqua Clear 50 HOB filter for my 29 gallon freshwater, moderatley(sp?) planted aqaurium which I am currently fishless cycling.

The filter came with 2 intake tubes (a single and an extension); I currently have the single intake tube on the filter.

I have an anacharis(sp?) plant in the back corner of the tank near the intake tube and the suction is beggining to pull the plant into the intake - so I need to do something.... and I like the plant in it's current location.

It just dawned on me that I could add the extension tube which I think would remove the plant from being drawn into the intake.

My question: Is there any benefit to have the intake tube at the top of the tank or is it better to add the extension tube and get the water draw from lower in the tank? Please provide your thoughts/explanation.

Thanks

I'm not that experienced with filters but I use the extension tube with my AquaClear. I didn't at first, but the tube seemed very high up and I also have an Internal Fluval which sits at the top of the water so I wanted something that was going to draw water from closer to the bottom as well, so I use the extension on the AquaClear. I'm not sure about pros/cons to either method; I'd be interested in what others say as well.

Back
Top Bottom