HOB or Internal Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get a aquaclear 70? I'm assuming that the more water it can filter the better....obviously haha

if you are going HOB might I suggest an Emperor 400? and dependent on your bio-load and a inexpensive Internal? For my 60 Gallon I have and Emperor 400 a Penguin 350 and a Aqua-Top Internal rated at 100 gph. My water is Crystal Clear, The Marineland Filters give you room for to use additional Media, I have Purgen and Matrix in both. I have an Oscar so I need the extra Filtration until he gets bigger and I need to upgrade tanks.

Mr.Pleco said:
The more you overfilter the more you can stock pretty much. Always want to overfilter your tanks.

Yep. The more filtration the better! You can't have too much filtration :) there will be more media, which means more area for beneficial bacteria, which means you can stock more because you have lots more bb!

Yep. The more filtration the better! You can't have too much filtration :) there will be more media, which means more area for beneficial bacteria, which means you can stock more because you have lots more bb!

Exactly. I have a aquarclear 70, top fin 60, and a fluval 405 on my 50g yellow labs right now.

On my 150g I have a sump, fluval u3 in the sump, a fluval 405, and moving the other 405 over in a few days.

The rest aren't fully stocked so not over filtered as much.

But you can't go wrong buying more to start...it'll save you in the long run.

I use two Penguin 200's and a sponge filter on my 50 gallon. I agree on the over filtering comments. :cool:

Cool. Good to know. Looks like I'll be getting another filter for my 55 then too. Thanks to all the comments out there

Keep in mind that adding filtration does not mean you can add more fish, unless you are willing to change more water.

Keep in mind that adding filtration does not mean you can add more fish, unless you are willing to change more water.

Huge +1 here.

An aquarium water has hundreds of different pollutants. Filtration catches solid waste and coverts ammonia>nitrIte>nitrAte.

If you heavily overstock your, then there is no amount of water change that will help you. Lightly overstocked tanks can go with multiple water changes throughout the week. I do not feel like the fishes will be comfortable living in these crowded tanks.

Huge +1 here.

An aquarium water has hundreds of different pollutants. Filtration catches solid waste and coverts ammonia>nitrIte>nitrAte.

If you heavily overstock your, then there is no amount of water change that will help you. Lightly overstocked tanks can go with multiple water changes throughout the week. I do not feel like the fishes will be comfortable living in these crowded tanks.

Understood but for the people who keep Cichlids (Africans specifically)...we need to overstock to disperse aggression. I do 2 50% water changes a week no issues and I can track my levels like clockwork Thursday evening and Late Sunday night is my schedule and I test almost daily.

Its very difficult to gauge water quality with Matrix possibly reducing nitrAtes.

Back
Top Bottom