Holly's 29 Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I figured since this is the first tank I've started where I semi knew what I was doing, I'd keep track of it here.

SO :D My Husband got me a 29gal (Not a 55, but I'm glad because now I see that we barely have room for the 29.) It came with a 100watt heater, a Top Fin 30 filter (Is this good enough? I was considering replacing it with a fluval HOB c series) and LED lights.

I've got it filled with water without any substrate for the simple fact it had some cosmetic damage and we were worried it might have a leak.

Anyone have good suggestions for stocking? I'm open to anything, but here's what I have in mind so far.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]5 Platies
[SIZE=-1]1 Flame [SIZE=-1]DG
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]6 tigerbarbs (OR 6 mollies)
[SIZE=-1]6 black skirt tetra

[SIZE=-1]Thanks![/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE]

Ok, so cycling day 2!

I dosed with ~5ml of Clear Ammonia yesterday. Tested after 30 mins to allow for complete and even saturation throughout water. Ammonia tested at 4-5ppm. Water temperature is being kept at 79 degrees with no lights to prevent algae boom. Due to it being the beginning of the cycle, no test for nitrates or Nitrites.

This morning I tested the tank for Ammonia. The level remained at roughly 4ppm.

:) Patience is a virtue, isn't that what they say?

I figured since this is the first tank I've started where I semi knew what I was doing, I'd keep track of it here.

SO :D My Husband got me a 29gal (Not a 55, but I'm glad because now I see that we barely have room for the 29.) It came with a 100watt heater, a Top Fin 30 filter (Is this good enough? I was considering replacing it with a fluval HOB c series) and LED lights.

I've got it filled with water without any substrate for the simple fact it had some cosmetic damage and we were worried it might have a leak.

Anyone have good suggestions for stocking? I'm open to anything, but here's what I have in mind so far.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]5 Platies
[SIZE=-1]1 Flame [SIZE=-1]DG
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]6 tigerbarbs (OR 6 mollies)
[SIZE=-1]6 black skirt tetra

[SIZE=-1]Thanks![/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE]

I think your stocking plan may not work out. Tiger Barbs are very nippy, and really should be kept in a barb tank IMO. Black Skirts are very nippy as well. Here is what I would suggest for stocking:

8 of one smaller schooling fish such as tetras or rasbora
8 of another smaller schooling fish such as tetras or rasbora
Centerpiece fish - 1 dwarf gourami OR a pair of rams
Bottom dwellers-1 Bristlenose pleco, OR 6 corys, OR 3 kuhli loaches

This spreads out the stocking so there is activity on the upper, middle, and lower levels of the tank.

I think your stocking plan may not work out. Tiger Barbs are very nippy, and really should be kept in a barb tank IMO. Black Skirts are very nippy as well. Here is what I would suggest for stocking:

8 of one smaller schooling fish such as tetras or rasbora
8 of another smaller schooling fish such as tetras or rasbora
Centerpiece fish - 1 dwarf gourami OR a pair of rams
Bottom dwellers-1 Bristlenose pleco, OR 6 corys, OR 3 kuhli loaches

This spreads out the stocking so there is activity on the upper, middle, and lower levels of the tank.

I will keep that in mind. I was a bit iffy on the tiger barbs as is. They're just insanely pretty O_O Would Black skirt tetras not count as small schooling fish? Also, I haven't looked much into rams...do they get pretty big?

Sorry for all the questions. Also, I was considering making this a planted tank...any suggestions for easy to maintain but full coverage plants? How long does it take for the plants to fill out and spread?

I will keep that in mind. I was a bit iffy on the tiger barbs as is. They're just insanely pretty O_O Would Black skirt tetras not count as small schooling fish? Also, I haven't looked much into rams...do they get pretty big?

Sorry for all the questions. Also, I was considering making this a planted tank...any suggestions for easy to maintain but full coverage plants? How long does it take for the plants to fill out and spread?

Black skirt tetras would qualify as a small schooling fish, but then I would say you would need to keep them with another more nippy tetra (Serpae Tetras, Silvertip Tetras)

Rams get to 3", so not that big. They are very pretty fish. German Blue Rams are very pretty, but very touchy, Bolivian Rams are still very pretty, and much more hearty.

An alternative to tiger barbs would be Black Ruby Barbs, they look pretty similar to TB's and aren't as aggressive.

Yessss....planted tank (y)

To get a plant to have a good carpeting effect, you really need high light and co2 injection, something that isn't low-maintenance. The easy low-light plants really won't carpet, and they grow quite slowly. You can still have a nice looking tank with easy low-light plants, but it takes a while for stuff to grow in.

Black skirt tetras would qualify as a small schooling fish, but then I would say you would need to keep them with another more nippy tetra (Serpae Tetras, Silvertip Tetras)

Rams get to 3", so not that big. They are very pretty fish. German Blue Rams are very pretty, but very touchy, Bolivian Rams are still very pretty, and much more hearty.

An alternative to tiger barbs would be Black Ruby Barbs, they look pretty similar to TB's and aren't as aggressive.

Yessss....planted tank (y)

To get a plant to have a good carpeting effect, you really need high light and co2 injection, something that isn't low-maintenance. The easy low-light plants really won't carpet, and they grow quite slowly. You can still have a nice looking tank with easy low-light plants, but it takes a while for stuff to grow in.

Sorry to butt in, but I've never heard of the black ruby barbs... They are very pretty! I've always wanted tiger barbs but I've never gotten them because of them being so aggressive. Glad to know there's an alternative for them! Are their tank requirements the same as tiger barbs?

To answer one of your initial questions, if your tank is going to be fully stocked I would recommend getting another filter to run alongside the topfin 30. I would go ahead and use it since you have it, but it would probably be better to add more filtration to it imo.

Ok, so cycling day 2!

I dosed with ~5ml of Clear Ammonia yesterday. Tested after 30 mins to allow for complete and even saturation throughout water. Ammonia tested at 4-5ppm. Water temperature is being kept at 79 degrees with no lights to prevent algae boom. Due to it being the beginning of the cycle, no test for nitrates or Nitrites.

This morning I tested the tank for Ammonia. The level remained at roughly 4ppm.

:) Patience is a virtue, isn't that what they say?

I'd recommend raising your temp to a max 85 degrees,the bacteria your trying to grow prefer the higher temp as it increases their metabolism...also were you able to get any seeded media?

Okay, so we've got progress! I have the gravel in for the most part and we've started on the rockscaping. My plants are hanging out in my 5gal for a few hours until we finalize the design :)

ForumRunner_20121228_175139.jpg

ForumRunner_20121228_175202.jpg

So, I think we're done scaping for this paycheck. Total cost for gravel, slate, and plants? $22.67

Hooray! Hopefully it continues to clear up. Had to redose with ammonia since i had to empty water out. Figure this will set me back a few days. My pH is a bit high...(8.2)

Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20121228_213306.jpg

Much clearer this morning. Ammonia is still at 4ppm. I think we're going to redo the gravel and landscape in our 5gal today since we have so much leftover. Also need to go down to the creek once the snow melts and look for driftwood. Any landscaping suggestions?

ForumRunner_20121229_094715.jpg

Hi there! Where did you buy your slate and for how much? I've been wanting some but can't find any for a decent price!

Hi there! Where did you buy your slate and for how much? I've been wanting some but can't find any for a decent price!

I actually bought it from Home Depot in the Tile Section. It was like $1.23 a square foot. So an entire box cost us about $8. My husband took a hammer and just started shaping away.

I actually bought it from Home Depot in the Tile Section. It was like $1.23 a square foot. So an entire box cost us about $8. My husband took a hammer and just started shaping away.

Interesting. I may have to give this a go, I've wanted to do some rocks or caves in my tank but I've been very reluctant bring something from outside in my tank, I'm to scared it will have something in it that will kill my fish or something. Did you end up making a cave or just pieces of
rock to put in random places?

Interesting. I may have to give this a go, I've wanted to do some rocks or caves in my tank but I've been very reluctant bring something from outside in my tank, I'm to scared it will have something in it that will kill my fish or something. Did you end up making a cave or just pieces of
rock to put in random places?

It's a work in progress, really. I hand only attended to use the slate to make a cave for the front, but my husband started messing around with it and decided it would look cooler to make the background slate. I think he plans on stacking higher in the back.

We also used river pea pebbles/river stone from home depot. I was a little worried about using foreign stuff in my tank....I did my research, though. Other people had done it and were fine. Just boil the crap out of the gravel before use O___O

We also had this one piece of slate, that once we put in the tank there was this incredibly high pitched clicking. We spent HOURS looking for it, before thinking of the slate. It's fine outside of water, but once submerged it's like it's screaming. It was weird. lol

Back
Top Bottom