Homemade Goldfish Food?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina717

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking at videos online and saw a thing about homemade goldfish food. I would love to give this a try but I think you need a blender which I dont have, but is there any that dont require a blender. Im looking for something that I can feed my goldfish everyday. Maybe a big batch to last me at least a week or two. I want to spoil my 2 goldfish :D:D. I want maybe like an all in one. that includes their vitamins and all that good stuff!

If any of you have a recipe that will work for me plz let im in on it:D

Just go with New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. It is by far the best food out there right now. Trying to make a food is at best guess work unless you are an animal nutritionist, best to leave something so important to professionals.

I wouldn't screw around with food either. The food you can buy (new life spectrum for sure) will be better and you know that they're not going to kill your fish.

I disagree. I fed both my Goldfish NLS for months before my Ryukin got SBD. You can see my entire thread where any commercial food caused my fish to get gas. I tried everything an three other people wrote back stating they had they same issue. He eventually died from this.

A month ago my Oranda developed the same issue. Every time he ate NLS he would float. He would be fine with Spinach, peas, or bloodworms but this does not contain the nutritional content needed by Goldfish.

So I bought a cheap blender, bowl, and cookie shee from Walmart 18$. I researched Goldfish Gel recipes and I found approx 20. I picked the below.

Since switching I have had no SBD issues. I am on week 5 of using this food my fish love it.

"Hardcore" fancy goldfish keepers do not feed commercial foods. I agree NLS is the best commercial food as long as you do not have issues but it there is no risk in making your own gel food.

Attachments

• image-2273837342.jpg
    image-2273837342.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 661
Im glad im not the only one who believes in natural, whole foods for their goldfish! If i had time, i would be feeding solely a homemade diet as well (maybe when my 2yrold is a bit older!) but i have a hard enough time doing pwcs with her 'helping'.... As i posted in your other thread about feeding your goldfish, i feed my guys a variety of fresh, cooked veggies, fruits (they love watermelon & mandarin orange segments), nori (seaweed), and cooked shrimp & salmon. Its basically the same stuff that my i already make/have available for my family daily so its really no extra effort. They do get Hikari pellets daily to 'balance' things but i am hoping to eventually switch to an all natural diet soon. Good luck!

It also has a lot to do with the fish. Many will get it on any food, some are so messed up by breeding (good thing we keep encouraging it) that they do need very specialized foods, but those are exceptions.

FYI buoyancy problems are not always swim bladder disease. SBD is an infection of the swim bladder. Usually when it happens because of diet it has to do with the digestive system, not the swim bladder. Round-bodied goldfish are so messed up that their organs are not arranged properly so they can't function naturally.

Unless you have a goldfish that is so bad that it can't handle any prepared food, stick to the NLS. All mine are on it exclusively (not even any peas in their diet) and none of them have any issues. Diet is too important to leave to homemade guess-worked foods. Leave it to the professionals and if one of your goldfish proves it can't even handle sinking, high quality pellets THEN worry about finding the best possible gel food (which can include pellets).

Fishguy2727 said:
Diet is too important to leave to homemade guess-worked foods. .

The nutritional break down is provided for each recipe. Also multiple people have used said recipes and there will always be debate which is better. If someone would want to take the time and try homemade I would not discourage them. I would suggest you do your research prior and make an educated decision.

I would. There are good enough foods out there to provide almost perfect nutrition to not have to use homemade foods, which nutritionally will vary from batch to batch, person to person, and ingredient to ingredient. People may be using them, but have they been using them for years and years, as in over a decade? The quality (and ease, although that should not be a main issue) of high quality pelleted food (NLS) is simply something I have never seen matched by homemade foods. Stick with NLS unless YOUR goldfish proves it can't handle it, then try a good gel food (which should have actual NLS pellets in it for their nutrition).

Back
Top Bottom