Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Honey Gourami advice

Hi

I bought 7 seven of these ( 3 males, 4 females ) . Got the extra one free as it was a little one.

I added to the tank 5 days ago. All they do is hide in the plants! I was concerned at first they werent feeding but i got some sinking pellets and they eat those . In the tanl are 6x zebra danios, 6 white cloud minnow, 12 neon tetra and 6 harlequin rasborta. The tank is 275l so there is room !

Two questions:
1) are they this shy???? in the shop they were zooming around the tank (but they tank was small and bare)
2) What can i do to get them out and about?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give them some time. My honey gourami are extremely curious and sociable and will even swim around my hand when I gravel vac, but it did take them a bit to gain confidence. Also, do you have floating plants? Honey gourami don't like excessive bright light and I noticed a big change when I added a bunch of frogbit to my tank. Hope they come out!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan
Give them some time. My honey gourami are extremely curious and sociable and will even swim around my hand when I gravel vac, but it did take them a bit to gain confidence. Also, do you have floating plants? Honey gourami don't like excessive bright light and I noticed a big change when I added a bunch of frogbit to my tank. Hope they come out!
I agree...mine were timid for 7-10 days before starting to swim around like they should. Now even my rams and kribs don't scare them...they are all over the tank.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #4

Thanks to you both . Patience is the key ! I did notice that when i turn of the bubble they do start to come out and look. I have a planted tank so will only turn on bubbles for the night now.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #5

The Honeys are one of the more agressive Gouramis, despite their small size. Like all Gouramis they like floating plants. If any of your fish start to make a bubble nests, they will become very territrial.

Tags
advice, gourami, honey gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com