Honey Gourami vs Dwarf Honey Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering if Honey Gourami is the same as Dwarf Honey Gourami. I was looking into getting some but I am aware of DGD and want to avoid it. Does anyone know any more info about the Honeys?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

They are the same fish but different common names. If you are concerned about what fish is what, look for the scientific name.

The scientific name of the honey gourami is Trichogaster chuna.

The scientific name of the dwarf gourami is Trichogaster lalius.

-------------------

Any gourami can catch the Gourami Iridovirus but dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) are regularly infected with it. They are also regularly infected with Fish Tuberculosis (TB). There's no cure for either disease and once the diseases are in an aquarium, they are there until you kill all the livestock and disinfect everything.

Thank you so much

I have a 20 gallon and I am not sure if I am going to get some any more. Do you have other recommendations?
There is nothing in it right now

How long has the tank been set up for?

Has the filter been cycled (developed the beneficial bacteria needed to keep ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm)?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Back
Top Bottom