Hoods. Necessary or nuisance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the consensus on this forum regarding hoods? My 10 gallon was part of a kit that included a hood with lights in it. I've since replaced the the bulbs with better lights, but the hood gets so much evaporated condensation underneath that it's a real pain whenever I want to remove it to do tank maintenance. I have to have a paper towel handy to catch the downpour when I take it off.

I see a lot of beautiful set ups here that seem to just have a light rack over the top and nothing else. Do fish really jump out if the tank that often?

It really depends on the fish. I have a glass top with a shop light sitting on top and I find it much easier/maneuverable than an actual hood. The only thing with the glass lid is that near the filter, the glass grows a lot of bubble algae that's easily wiped off.

IMO some sort of cover is a necessity to avoid nuisances. Fish jumping is always a possibility, plus you won't have to top it off as often, so it is probably worth it. I have to top of my 10 gallon daily because it doesn't have a hood on it, but never my 20 gallon, which does.

I have hoods on my 10,20t,29 because I have cats and they like to explore... At this point I have gutted the stock black plastic lid hoods , I've kept the actual lid and just leave it in front with my lights behind, all free standing.. Working good so far.

I think a hood looks nicer but on mine isn't essential. I have Perspex to keep the water in and the hood just rounds off the tank.

I definitely prefer open tops (provided you don't have known jumpers). Open tops (particularly with rimless tanks) can give the illusion of your aquarium simply continuing into space while a hood can shatter that idea quite quickly. To me it just looks more natural. Fish that jump can also often be discouraged with floating plants at the surface.

Personally, I like hoods because with bigger tanks and lower lighting conditions, a hood provides an easy way to light up the entire tank while also protecting from the possibility of a fish overboard. :)

Back
Top Bottom