Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How can I get my nitrites to go down? HELP

So I have a 20-gallon tank that I started a fishless cycle on last Monday. I have kept the ammonia levels consistently at 1-2 ppm, and have gotten to the point where the ammonia reaches near zero in 24 hours. The nitrites are a different story. For the past three days, they have been stuck at 2ppm and the nitrAtes have been hovering around 20ppm. The ph is usually around 7.2-7.6 and I have added a bio stone as well as the liquid bacteria stuff. I also have a heater that keeps the water at a steady 75 degrees. As far as the water itself, it is clear with no visible issues. Is this normal, or something I need to address?

Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, it's normal. Without established filter media it can take 2-6 weeks to fully cycle. Keep it up, your on the right track

Tags
nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com