how do I plant cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just curious how long it takes for my 20g high tank to cycle by doing plant cycling?

also i wanted to know if i can just use moss to cycle it?

The idea is that the tank doesn't ever go through a 'cycling' phase because the toxins are being taken by the plants before they can build up to a toxic level. It takes a pretty moderately planted tank with decent lighting and fast growing plants to make a reliable impact, though. A low light tank with just java moss is probably not going to do it.

When I try to plant cycle a tank I shoot for a medium lighting range and plant the tank out at least 50% or more combined with a negligible fish load.

Cycling a Tank with Plants

I'm just curious how long it takes for my 20g high tank to cycle by doing plant cycling?

also i wanted to know if i can just use moss to cycle it?

Hello P...

Without a source of waste products, it would be difficult to cycle your tank. I've heavily planted a new tank and let everything run for a month, but eventually added some hardy fish to the tank to begin the cycling process. Using some hardy fish is an efficient way and if you're careful, the fish are easily able to survive the process.

B

The idea is that the tank doesn't ever go through a 'cycling' phase because the toxins are being taken by the plants before they can build up to a toxic level. It takes a pretty moderately planted tank with decent lighting and fast growing plants to make a reliable impact, though. A low light tank with just java moss is probably not going to do it.

When I try to plant cycle a tank I shoot for a medium lighting range and plant the tank out at least 50% or more combined with a negligible fish load.

oh okay. well i do plan on putting some medium light plants. i just don't know which yet.
do you know any that is easy to maintain?

Hello P...

Without a source of waste products, it would be difficult to cycle your tank. I've heavily planted a new tank and let everything run for a month, but eventually added some hardy fish to the tank to begin the cycling process. Using some hardy fish is an efficient way and if you're careful, the fish are easily able to survive the process.

B

well i have had it going without anything in it at the moment for about a month now.
I did put 2 rosy minnows last night from another tank cause it was being aggressive towards the other fish. would it help if i have my moss and a couple of medium or low light plants with my fish to cycle the tank?

well i have had it going without anything in it at the moment for about a month now.
I did put 2 rosy minnows last night from another tank cause it was being aggressive towards the other fish. would it help if i have my moss and a couple of medium or low light plants with my fish to cycle the tank?

Hello again...

The tank size will determine the number of fish necessary to begin the cycling process. A couple of small fish in a large tank isn't enough. Ideally, you want to add at least six hardy fish like Zebra Danios or Livebearers like Platys to a medium sized tank.

The waste the fish produce will start the process. At this point, you need a good water testing kit and test for ammonia and nitrites daily.

If you need further help, just let someone on this forum know.

B

If i am understanding correctly you have another already cycled tank?
If so no need to worry much about cycling. Just use some of the bio media from your established tank and put it in the new filter on the new tank.

Hello again...

The tank size will determine the number of fish necessary to begin the cycling process. A couple of small fish in a large tank isn't enough. Ideally, you want to add at least six hardy fish like Zebra Danios or Livebearers like Platys to a medium sized tank.

The waste the fish produce will start the process. At this point, you need a good water testing kit and test for ammonia and nitrites daily.

If you need further help, just let someone on this forum know.

B

oh okay thanks! i just don't want to risk my CPDs in bad water cause i am paying good money for them haha =p

If i am understanding correctly you have another already cycled tank?
If so no need to worry much about cycling. Just use some of the bio media from your established tank and put it in the new filter on the new tank.

well i do it is at my girlfriends house. but we have only had it up for about 3 months or so.

ok thats a bit on the new side. might be risky taking any media out. if you had time you could have run your filter on her tank for a few weeks. that would have seeded your filter and shortened the cycling time.

ok thats a bit on the new side. might be risky taking any media out. if you had time you could have run your filter on her tank for a few weeks. that would have seeded your filter and shortened the cycling time.

hmmm i never thought about that. i might do that!
thanks!

I've put mts through some rough stuff leaving buckets of water and plants sitting for weeks with no filter, heater, or circulation and they still thrive.

I've put mts through some rough stuff leaving buckets of water and plants sitting for weeks with no filter, heater, or circulation and they still thrive.

wow so i guess i should get mine right away then!

Back
Top Bottom