How do I prepare plants before adding to new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wazgud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have plants coming in this saturday and I wanted to know what types of preparations I should do before planting them into my new aquarium?

Prepping Aquatic Plants that

Hello waz...

There's no mystery to it. You remove any metal clamps, plastic, rockwool, small rocks, etc. Rinse the plants well in warm tap water and put them into the tank per the instructions that come with the plants. I prefer to do my planting in the middle of a water change. It makes the job much easier.

B

Hello waz...

There's no mystery to it. You remove any metal clamps, plastic, rockwool, small rocks, etc. Rinse the plants well in warm tap water and put them into the tank per the instructions that come with the plants. I prefer to do my planting in the middle of a water change. It makes the job much easier.

B
Hit the nail on the head.

You can do dips for the plants in an attempt to kill snails or algae however its not necessary. The dips usually end up damaging the plants as well though.

The reason I asked this is because I heard people say that you need to isolate the plants for a certain amount of time before you should introduce it to your tank to avoid killing any fish.

The reason I asked this is because I heard people say that you need to isolate the plants for a certain amount of time before you should introduce it to your tank to avoid killing any fish.

The only reason you would need to do that is there is a small potential for introducing parasites into the tank. This won't happen if you get the plants from a trusted source though.

Back
Top Bottom