How do I preserve bacteria in a tank move? / Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I getting a used tank, that is currently running with a HOB filter. The person I am buying the tank from said she would put the filter on another tank to keep the bacteria alive till I get there. What can I do to keep it alive on the drive home? I have a feeling it's going to be 45min - 1hr till I get the tank home, plus I have to fill it, etc. Will it be possible to preserve some of the bacteria?

Also, I've just purchased an XP3 filter for this tank (it is a 50 gallon tank). Should I take the media out of the HOB (not sure what it is yet) and put it in the empty basket of the XP3, or should I run the HOB first and add the XP3 later?

First, as long as the media stays wet, it will make the trip no problem. Just keep the media in tank water.

As for the XP3, yes, you can put the media from the HOB into the XP3. Leave the sponges in the bottom, and then place the media from the HOB in the middle and upper baskets, with the fine filter pad on top. Or maybe if you placed the HOB media in the bottom basket, and the sponges in the middle, it will transfer the bacteria to the sponges quicker. Up to you. I would run the HOB filter in the XP3 for 3-4 weeks to ensure it's fully cycled. Then remove the HOB material and replace with other media like Ceramic Cylinders or Lava Granules. No need to use carbon, as it just needs to be replaced too frequently. Ceramic never needs to be replaced.

Also, I've just purchased an XP3 filter for this tank (it is a 50 gallon tank). Should I take the media out of the HOB (not sure what it is yet) and put it in the empty basket of the XP3, or should I run the HOB first and add the XP3 later?

Add it to the basket in the xp3.

Also just keep it wet (submerged) on the drive home in declorinated water...it will be fine.

But do not stock fast,the media is a great source of benificial bacteria,but what will you have added to your tank is a small percentage of what was needed for the bioload in the tank it came from...in other words add it to the xp3 and add a few fish...but keep it slow after that .

Back
Top Bottom