How do I properly filter a divided betta tank? (20long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to get a 20 gallon long tank and divide it into 4 equal sections of 5 gallons each to house my bettas instead of having 4 separate smaller tanks, but I’m running into an issue with filtration. I’m concerned that if I put a 20gal HOB, all the flow will go into 1-2 sections making those sections high flow which will be hard on my long and delicate finned friends, but leaving the remaining two sections with very little flow/filtration which I’m afraid could lead to other problems. Should I put two 10gal HOBs in it so there’s equal flow on both sides of the tank? Will that be enough filtration? Or too much? Are there any other methods I should consider?

I thought about using sponge filters on either side, but the air pumps are just too noisy for me, and I’d most likely not keep them running all the time because of this. I’m really not sure what I should do here, so any suggestions would help:)

Back
Top Bottom