how do i use baking soda to raise ph levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starfire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i was told i could use baking soda to raise the ph level in my tank but am unsure how to do so. was hoping someone here would know how to do it.

First, what are your water parameters and what fish are you wanting to put into the tank? Do you have a pH testing kit along with a test for each of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If you don't, I highly recommend purchasing an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master freshwater test kit. Generally they run $15-25 online and are well worth the price. Most fish don't "need" a certain pH and they'll be fine right where your water is unless you have extraordinary water parameters. Adding baking soda can safely raise your pH and buffer your water, however this may not even be necessary and there are quite a few benefits of having an acidic pH. Welcome to AA!

Generally, you do not need to add baking soda unless you have water without buffering capacity <eg RO/DI water, or naturally soft water with no KH.> In those cases, using carbonates (crushed coral/limestone) to buffer your water is more foolproof.

If you post your pH AND KH, we can figure what you need to do.

Generally, you do not need to add baking soda unless you have water without buffering capacity <eg RO/DI water, or naturally soft water with no KH.> In those cases, using carbonates (crushed coral/limestone) to buffer your water is more foolproof.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

i just use a tablespoon of baking soda per 5 gallons and after a day i check the ph and its 8.2
(my waterchange bucket with powerhead, not the tank)

I would tend to agree with this. Using crushed coral would slowly bring your pH up to a fairly stable level (carbonate solubility is a function of pH).

I have tested pH prior to and after adding baking soda.

30 gallon tropical tank at 85 degrees, pH = 6
added one heaping teaspoon (1/2 tablespoon) and it went to 8.5

Water change is usually a better option, yet in an emergency...
DON'T PANIC! Be careful!

Yeah, I know 85 is a little hot for tropical, but no AC here in Ohio land and ambient temperature is driving heat in the tank.

FYI, my spotted cat had "submarined" and tipped me off to the low pH.
The disc, barbs, danos, hatchets and pleco all seemed happy enough.

BTW - those of you with pleco's and disc's - beware of salting!

Back
Top Bottom