How do you do your Break-in Period for New Tank Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

May I kindly asked how do you break-in your New Tank setup?
...specially if it's for Discus...

What are the methods and techniques you follow? Are there any short-cuts to make it Fast?

I find that seeded sponge filters from an existing set up is ideal. If that isn't available to you you'll have to let the tank cycle normally.

I'm no expert, but I've started up 2 10-gallons this way with no mortalities. I use Seachem Stability with excellent results. Just use as directed, and you can technically start popping fish into your tank from day one. I waited till day two to let the gravel settle. :mrgreen:

I bet some of you out there are thinking about strangling me right about now. Remember....Peace yo. 0X

right now i'm setting up a 10 gal and i'm borrowing the filter and gravel from an established one. i also heard plants help out, but i could be completely off on that one. :fadein:

plants do help out a lot in keeping toxins down.

I've heard people have had success with bio-spira, but I've never used it myself. Twice I used hardy fish to cycle and did frequent water changes, and then I used stuff from established tanks on my newest one to jump-start the cycle. HTH! Oh, and I had plants in all of them as well.

While all of the suggestions mentioned here will help I would suggest adding some other less expensive fish to your tank first and letting it stabilize before adding your discus. That way, if your fish do have problems, you don't lose an expensive, and hard to replace, fish. You also have to be careful selecting plants for a discus aquarium because of the higher water temperatures you would normally use for discus.

when i set up a 10 gallon a couple weeks ago i had the filter ahead of time and let it run in my large tank for about a week before i got the 10 gallon aquarium. i then filled the 10 gallon with a combo of my other tank's water and some from the tap. i also move some rock and decorations over. this severly shorten my cycle time. if i had been able to move gravel i think the time would have been null.

I set up a 35 gallon 3 weeks ago. I had been planning this tank for a while, waiting for the $$$ to set it up. The first thing I bought was the Emperor 400 filter, and I ran it on my 55 gallon tank for 3 weeks before setting up the 35 gallon. It worked perfectly and I've had no problems. BTW I scored the tank and stand for free! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom