How do you know when your tank is fully cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tank is cycled when your ammonia levels peak, then drop to zero, and your nitrite levels peak, then drop to zero, and you have a small level of nitrAtes in the water.

Unless you have an ammonia source, your tank is not cycled at all as its meant here. We are talking bout the nitrogen cycle, and you can read about it here: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

It is imperative you purchase ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests so you can follow the cycle. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly to fish, and the levels will let you know A) if your tank is cycled and B) if you need to do a water change and dilute the ammonia/nitrites.

Read that faq and make sure you understand what cycling a tank entails, as it sounds as if you might be a little confused (my apologies if I'm mistaken).

What is IN your tank now? Do you already have the tests and if so, what sort of readings have you gotten over the past 2 weeks?

I have all the tests. I will need to do a partial water change tomorrow wince my ammonia levels are getting pretty high. Everything seems pretty normal. None of the tests are high right now with the exception of the ammonia level. The only live things I have in there is 5 rainbow tetras.

If you already have fish in the tank you can't let the ammonia or nitrite levels get high. You must do water levels to keep them low. This will mena a much slower cycle of course. And since you already have fish you might as well add the plants anytime as they will help absorb some of the excess ammonia and nitrite.

*nods and agrees with tkos*

Heh ok, with a little more info its a much clearer picture. No new fishies for you till the tank's bacterial colonies can handle em. Right now you are still in the first stages of the cycle (high ammonia). Adding new fish before ammonia and nitrites BOTH equal zero will most likely mean dead fish. Don't forget, new fish will add even MORE ammonia to the mix and your tank isn't ready to handle the ammonia levels now.

Yep. Water changes. Lots n lots. It will make the cycle go slower, as you are removing the food sources for the bacteria (diluting the ammonia and nitrites), but since those sources are deadly, better to have a slow cycle and live fish. The readings on your tests will dictate how frequent so keep checkin daily!

And yeah, you can pop in the plants now. Do keep in mind, they too may slow the cycle down a bit as they also use the nitrogenous waste as food and will be competing a little with the bacteria. At the same time, they are removing it from the water colum as tkos said, and it will make the water a safer place for the fish in there now.

Btw, you haven't added an ammonia converter like Amquel have you?

Allivymar said:
Btw, you haven't added an ammonia converter like Amquel have you?
No I haven't. Okay well I just did a 25% water change and here's what I got

Nitrate (mg/L) 20
Nitrite (mg/L) 0
Total Harness (GH) 25
Total Alkalinity (KH) 120
pH level 7.5
Ammonia (mg/L) .3

The ammonia looks a little high even after the water change. I'll probably need to do it again tomorrow.

Amquel

Hi, Can I jump in with a question?

I have been preparing my tap water with Novaqua and Amquel, 10 drops of each per gallon. Is this ok? My tank is still cycling. But if the ammonia is high in the tank, you should do a parial water change instead of putting in more Amquel, right? Our tap water does have a little ammonia in it. I tested the tap water with the ammonia test kit.

Back
Top Bottom