How do you vacuum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious about techniques and ways to do it. I use a python.
When I'm water changing I try to vacuum all the visible detritus and not going too far into the substrate. Anyone do a deep travel clean?

I leave it to the trumpet snail in my tank. I figure if I don't see it, or more than one, it's clean enough.

Zebra snail. My bleeding hearts were bothering it one day, next morning it was dead with a chunk missing. Water parameters were fine(this happened a few years ago in my old 10g)

I'm glad you asked this because I'm wondering whether my own technique might be stressing my fish.

I have a planted tank (low light) with driftwood and some stones, and a mixture of sand and gravel. I vacuum every bit of gravel I can as thoroughly as I can once a week as part of the water change. This means that I do about two thirds of the gravel as I don't want to disturb the plants and I can't reach under the driftwood.

I wonder if this stresses the fish too much - quite a lot of activity.

I honestly dont vaccuum anything. Just siphon water out and replace with clean. I have a ton of water flow in my tanks that keeps detritus off the bottom. About once a week i will replace the filter floss on my aquaclear.

Back
Top Bottom