How does this sound? --- 29 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
This would be for a 29gallon.

How does this setup sound?

1 - Marble Molly (already have him)
7 - Golden Zebra Danios
5 - Black Skirt Tetras
2 - Keyhole Cichlids
2 - Golden Dwarf Cichlids

New to cichlids but love their colors. I'm around the tank all the time and keep close eye on everything about my tank so I think I should be good.

Let me know if this is ok or what you would recommend to change. Thanks!

I don't believe Cichlids get along with alot of other kinds of fish they are more on the aggressive side. You might check with someone alse but...

Looks great except for the keyholes, not sure how they would do (Also, you might get a pair from getting 2 of them. When paired, you will either need to separate them from the main tank so no aggression goes to other fish.)

The Golden Dwarf Cichlids should do good, but like the Keyholes, they will pair (that is if you get a pair as one or accidentally) and get aggressive towards other fish.

I don't believe Cichlids get along with alot of other kinds of fish they are more on the aggressive side. You might check with someone alse but...
Not necessarily. Angels and Rams will do fine with just about any fish you put them with... until they start breeding, but usually only run in to problems if they're in a smaller tank. I don't think you'll have any issues with the keyholes, but I'm not familiar enough with the others to even comment on them.

Thank you both.

I think I'll pass on the cichlids. Anyone have experience or know enough about Badis? I haven't heard much of them but look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

It would be a good idea to only choose one pair of cichlids. Two pairs in a 29g is asking for trouble. The keyholes would be ok in the 29g. I have no experience with the golden dwarf cichlids, but their size suggests the would be the better option.

If you decide to get the keyholes I would suggest leaving out the danios and maybe adding a few more black skirts.

**Edit: If you change your mind about the cichlids you could try the keyholes with the black skirt tetras and a pair of BN plecos(or other similarly sized pleco). That would be a very nice setup, and doable in a 29g.

Would a blue ram be ok in the same tank with a 3 spotted gourami? (29g) and in 77 deg.

Would a blue ram be ok in the same tank with a 3 spotted gourami? (29g) and in 77 deg.

I have 1 Ram with 1 Gourami and they are cool...if that helps

hal.lc said:
It would be a good idea to only choose one pair of cichlids. Two pairs in a 29g is asking for trouble. The keyholes would be ok in the 29g. I have no experience with the golden dwarf cichlids, but their size suggests the would be the better option.

If you decide to get the keyholes I would suggest leaving out the danios and maybe adding a few more black skirts.

**Edit: If you change your mind about the cichlids you could try the keyholes with the black skirt tetras and a pair of BN plecos(or other similarly sized pleco). That would be a very nice setup, and doable in a 29g.

Thanks! Great help! That would be a cool setup. I'll keep looking at different combos. I have the danios right now so they kinda have to be incorporated. But thanks a bunch!

Golden dwarf cichlid (Nannacara anomala) tends to be very shy IME. I think the danios and black skirts would easily outcompete them for food. With more mellow schoolers, they would be a great choice. Badis are going to be a better choice for a small species tank IMO. They can be picky eaters and when you're keeping ravenous danios and black skirts, I would again expect that they would be outcompeted for food.

Keyholes should be fine. They're easier to keep than rams... or at least, it's a lot easier to find quality stock. If you're wanting rams, try to find a local breeder. I can just about guarantee you will be disappointed with the longevity of LFS rams.

Golden dwarf cichlid (Nannacara anomala) tends to be very shy IME. I think the danios and black skirts would easily outcompete them for food. With more mellow schoolers, they would be a great choice. Badis are going to be a better choice for a small species tank IMO. They can be picky eaters and when you're keeping ravenous danios and black skirts, I would again expect that they would be outcompeted for food.

Keyholes should be fine. They're easier to keep than rams... or at least, it's a lot easier to find quality stock. If you're wanting rams, try to find a local breeder. I can just about guarantee you will be disappointed with the longevity of LFS rams.

thanks!
how would this be?
1 - Molly (existing)
5 - golden Zebras (existing)
5 - blk skirt tetras
1 - Pearl Gourami (or a blue three spot) (which ever you think is better for the tank)
and 1 - Bolivian Ram or a Keyhole cichlid (whichever you think will fit better)

I think thats everything. Feel free to suggest others.

I'd do the pearl gourami and the Bolivian ram just based on the rest of your stock list. 3 spot (or any other variant of Trichogaster trichopterus) is on the upper end size wise of anything I'd stock in a 29.

severum mama said:
I'd do the pearl gourami and the Bolivian ram just based on the rest of your stock list. 3 spot (or any other variant of Trichogaster trichopterus) is on the upper end size wise of anything I'd stock in a 29.

Great, thanks! Rams are ok though in community tanks then?

Rams should do fine in most community tanks as long as their are no aggressive or predator like fish.

Would the Bolivian ram still be ok with an otoclinus cat? In the 29g?

tyspot1000 said:
Rams should do fine in most community tanks as long as their are no aggressive or predator like fish.

Good deal

The only thing I second about what I said is when they are spawning. The male and female will attack any fish that gets near the eggs (That is when its time to separate for a little while.)

tyspot1000 said:
The only thing I second about what I said is when they are spawning. The male and female will attack any fish that gets near the eggs (That is when its time to separate for a little while.)

I'm probably just gonna get one male. That ok?

Would the Bolivian ram still be ok with an otoclinus cat? In the 29g?

Sure! They make great tank mates for otos. I would add the otos last. Most starve in captivity and your tank needs to be really mature to have the algae growth necessary to sustain them. They do not always do well with prepared foods.

If you are concerned about aggression, keep a single specimen of your pearl gourami and your Bolivian ram. When they don't have the opportunity to breed, they are much less likely to show aggression toward your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom