How hard is it to start a planted tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 36 gallon bow front starter kit from aqueon. I also have red and black gravel and just he lights from the kit. i want to change this tank into a planted one but i am wondering how hard it would be. would i need to by new substrate, lights, anything special for the plants? i just really want to know because i have never had live plants in an aquarium but always wanted to and now that i have a bigger tank i want to maybe try it, thanks:thanks:

Some plants you don't need any particular special lights. Such as java fern and java moss. Many others too! But I'm nø expert. :p

Red ludwigia and water wisteria (don't know if I spelt that last one right) are also okay with a standard light. For the substrate I'm not sure of pea gravel. But I do not see a problem. As I said, let's wait for the pros to chime in....

looks like that is a t8 fixture, does it have 1 or 2 bulbs? Are they long single bulbs? It does say full spectrum which is a plus, I'd try out anacharis, hornwort, or any of those plants listed by the previous poster. Just get a few to begin with and see how they do. You don't need any special substrate or ferts to begin with, but they are a good idea if you plan to get more serious into planted tanks (along with a lighting upgrade later on).

yah there are 2 long single bulbs and i saw some dwarf hair grass that looks cool, would that work out?

when first add plant to the tank, the plant will shock and melt but dont worry it will heal in a couple days and grow... the new leaf r the one you want to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom