how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long do i leave my new fish in the bag he came in? Any tips?

Hi I can only tell you what I've been advised but I'm pretty new to this so hopefully someone with more experience comes along and helps too.
Float the bag with fish in, in your water for 20mins, then add a bit of your tank water to the bag with fish in, leave another 20 mins, add some more of your tank water to bag, leave a further 20 mins the using a net get fish out of bag and put in the tank. I've been advices not to tip water into your tank. Hope this is correct.

I usually let the bag float in the top of the tank for 15 min or so. Then I open the bag and clip it to the tank to keep if from falling in. I add about a tablespoon of water every minute or so for the next 20-40 minutes until I've doubled the volume of water that was originally in the bag. Then i net the fish and add it to the tank. If the bag from the store had a lot of water in it to begin with I will pour out some of the water first.

if you are putting the fish into a quarantine tank first, which is recommended, you don't have to worry about netting the fish, you can add the water directly to the tank since you will be monitoring the fish for a few weeks to watch for disease anyway.

When I introduce new cichlids that I get mail order I use a drip acclimation method over a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom