How long can fish be in bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am going to get small goldfish from petsmart and the would be in that bag for a little over 1 hour is this ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably is fine.

And it's going into a cycled tank that is 20 gallons or more ... ?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Boy if it isn't return it. As long as there is enough water in the bag it should be fine. Fish get shipped for 24-48 hours bagged on a regular basis.

They'll be fine. Ask for at least 50% water and a larger bag. If you're getting more than one ask them for separate bags for each.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I notice you're asking lots of questions here lately, welcome and good for you ...

But I notice a recent thread in which I think you mention 4 goldfish and some minnows in a 10 gallon. You mention getting a larger tank at some point but ... You aren't getting another goldfish for that tank are you?

4 goldfish and minnows ... I'm pretty sure the recommendation for that is like 75 gallons?

No I have no goldfish at the moment and I am only keeping them in there until the grow a bit bigger the i am moving them.

And I am getting the ones for 17 cents each

The feeders get huge quickly, as I understand it.

If you want help making sure the tank is stocked and set up in a healthy way, feel free to post the rest of the details.

There is no issue with leaving the fish in the bag as long as it is not somewhere that will cause a large temperature swing. For example, don't put it on your dashboard in the summer heat or leave it in your trunk for a few hours during a cold winter day.

I have fish shipped to me, they stay in the bag for 2-3 days. I've only lost one fish this way, a 12" Fire eel, the box was lost and he took 5 days to arrive.

Just try to maintain the temperature in the bag and you will be fine.

don't get feeder fish as pets there usually sick , spend a little more and get nicer goldfish
and you would be better off at a lfs if you can go to one

I got 2 feeders and I have had them for 5 days and the are in great health.

Thanks for all the answers, both fish made it home and are doing great.

I got 2 feeders and I have had them for 5 days and the are in great health.

That's a debatable statement. The conditions they're raised in (overcrowded and under filtered) is quite stressful on them and they're usually full of bacterial infections and parasites. Hopefully they're in their own tank and not with any other fish otherwise I for see numerous problems going forward. IMO, poor research leading to poor choices. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

They are in there own tank and they are only 17 cents so I decided to try them.

My only question is why make a round trip that is longer than 2 hours for $0.34 of fish?

Back
Top Bottom