How long does it take for beneficial bacteria to grow on filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I am going to leave it in :) I just checked and it doesn't seem to fit with the bio media, so I'm going to keep it by the filter pad :) I also notice that it makes a good pre-filter because the water goes to it first, then the pad.
Perfect. That'll do the job. What make/model is the old filter and what are you doing with it now??

Why not run it too and fill it with filter floss. It will polish the water and give you crystal clear water. You could even add a bag of Purigen to it too.....

That's a great idea, but ident think there's enough room for it :( would it be possible to add filter floss to the one on now? Maybe I could put some with the bio media :)

That's a great idea, but ident think there's enough room for it :( would it be possible to add filter floss to the one on now? Maybe I could put some with the bio media :)
It would be better if you can/could add the old filter but if not, you certainly can add it to the new one. The ideal spot for floss is just before the water re-enters the tank. If placed before the media, it will still filter the water but will get clogged very quickly.

It would be better if you can/could add the old filter but if not, you certainly can add it to the new one. The ideal spot for floss is just before the water re-enters the tank. If placed before the media, it will still filter the water but will get clogged very quickly.

Nah I dont think the old one will fit :( Hey, quick question, instead of buying the stuff, can I just rip open a pillow and get some out, or would it be best to buy some from a pet store?

Nah I dont think the old one will fit :( Hey, quick question, instead of buying the stuff, can I just rip open a pillow and get some out, or would it be best to buy some from a pet store?
NO. You need to use NEW floss. The pillow stuffing will have containments, from detergents and from you!!. Check out craft/hobby stores or online. A big bag for a few dollars. It must NOT contain any additives....fire retardants. Make sure it is 100% polyfil....

NO. You need to use NEW floss. The pillow stuffing will have containments, from detergents and from you!!. Check out craft/hobby stores or online. A big bag for a few dollars. It must NOT contain any additives....fire retardants. Make sure it is 100% polyfil....

I think I will look into getting a bag :) I just thought that it would be expensive :lol: Anyway, thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom