How long till a tank would be considered optimal condition.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't mean cycling but when a tank would be considered set well enough for more slightly more sensitive fish.
I feel there is a long cycle a tank can go through where it's conditions evolve based on it's contents after establishing the bacteria. Where it becomes conditioned to the plants and other things and starts to display all sort of things you may not expect in the first month or so. The fish in it can be perfectly fine and well adjusted but there may still be more work to do to get everything in check. I just would like to know some tricks of the trade on that long term cycle.
Like I'm not sure if the return from the canister filter should be above or below the water... because when it's below it seems this thicker substance builds up on the surface. I know this is normal because I've seen it plenty of times in a betta fish bowl that has no water movement. Should I have the return pump break the surface to prevent this or can I simply spray a tank water/H2O2 solution on the surface to get rid of it? That way it'd be silent...

Basically I'm wondering when you find your tanks to be in a state of an ideal balance. How many months did it take with and after the cycle to achieve this.

I want to put in Electric Blue Rams and I want to do it right so there is no casualties but I'm not quite sure when is a fair time to add them. It's a little over a month old and is a 55g with rummy nose tetras, peppered cories and some snails. Lots of plants as well which are slowly adjusting and growing in now. There is still a few things I need to do like replace a sword that was seemingly killed in a H2O2 bath ( that I did to remove algae) I probably could trim it down to the root an hope it comes back since there is still some nice green on it though. and I have to trim some Bacopa's that have some ugly dead lower leaves (sellers fault since their plant tank kind of sucks right now) that the snails seem to love eating. But After that it seems like it's in good shape as long as I acclimate them well. I might add more Cories before hand as well.

Back
Top Bottom